What delay for Frippertronics?

oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 845
Since I can't get my hands on a couple of Revox tape machines, what's a good delay pedal to get for that "No Pussyfooting" sound-on-sound effect? Apparently you need a delay with at least 4 seconds of delay available to get into Frippertronics territory and definitely a delay not a looper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    The one that springs to mind is the Strymon Volante though I have no personal experience of using it. Does it have enough delay time? It definitely does sound-on-sound.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited January 8
    If software is an option there is an old VST called Elottronix (and it's free). Based on Fripp's revox setup.

• Wardy66Wardy66 Frets: 6
    edited January 8
    Loads out there - delays not loopers:
    A few spring to mind:
    Eventide Rose - 50 second delay
    Meris LVX - 5 second delay
    HX Stomp or HX One - (8 second delay) this does loops which fade out with each repeat so double good.
    Strymon El Capistan and Volante - SOS looping mode
    Chase Bliss Habit - 60 second delay
    Soma Cosmos - weird multiple long delays
    DD-500 I think
    Empress Echosystem - 10 second delay
    TC Flashback - 8 second delay I think , plus Triple delay has three lots of this.
    Eventide Ultratap - 10 second delay

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    The SOS mode in the Volante works really well for it. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    TC Flashback Mini does 7 seconds of delay. If only someone were selling one in the classifieds…
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5157
    Wardy66 said:
    Loads out there - delays not loopers:
    A few spring to mind:
    Eventide Rose - 50 second delay
    Meris LVX - 5 second delay
    HX Stomp or HX One - (8 second delay) this does loops which fade out with each repeat so double good.
    Strymon El Capistan and Volante - SOS looping mode
    Chase Bliss Habit - 60 second delay
    Soma Cosmos - weird multiple long delays
    DD-500 I think
    Empress Echosystem - 10 second delay
    TC Flashback - 8 second delay I think , plus Triple delay has three lots of this.
    Eventide Ultratap - 10 second delay

Yes, it'll do up to 10 seconds. A couple of the modes have shorter maximum times.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    SOS in the El Cap
  • I was going to suggest the old ehx 16 second delay but I checked the price and they're going for over 500 used... 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 845
    I was going to suggest the old ehx 16 second delay but I checked the price and they're going for over 500 used... 

And that's for the reissue which is supposedly different enough from the original as to be not worth bothering about.
  • I was going to suggest the old ehx 16 second delay but I checked the price and they're going for over 500 used... 

Joe's Pedals have a version by Maneco Labs for more reasonable money

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Old Frippertronics or what he currently does now?

Doing it the old way then pretty much any delay with expression pedal support will work.
    Or use a volume pedal and a mixer- Gigrig do some useful products, like the Wetter Box that might help.

Fripp uses Eventide processors now.
    H3000 and H8000 from memory (is that a pun? If so I want credit).
    It will be difficult to get that sort of functionality out of a pedal, but the H90 will be the closest.

It isn't really the delay that matters, it is how you construct the signal path of multiple delays, in series/parallel, feeding one into the other and such.
    I'm not looking to nail Fripp's thing, but rather use it as a starting point for my own thing.
    Fractal products do a great job for me.
    I have a number of FM9 patches that give me unpredictable results that require me to respond in the moment to avoid a car crash.

The pedal that I love the most is Hexe Revolver DX.
    It might not have the right delay time for you, but I've got it set up as a momentary capture, so any line I play can be captured, reversed and played back with a fade out over time, which is adjustable.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Chords of Orion has a whole bunch of videos on frippertronics and getting the effects from different delays from a tc mini Flashback and upward in price. His favourite seems to be the tc Ditto X4 which, of course, isn’t actually a regular delay pedal but it does that fading loops thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Wardy66Wardy66 Frets: 6
    Fripp has been spotted using a Helix recently.
    But yes, Chords of Orion is a good source to look at a version of Frippertronics..
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18815
    Might not be guitar-ish, but a set of Northumbrian pipes & some practice would get you most of the way there  ;)