My Consolidated Build Thread/Works In Progress + CNC Stuff

What's Hot
GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
edited February 21 in Making & Modding
Spent some time planning out a new build over the new year, as i've got far to many guitars already i decided to build something i don't have....a Baritone 27" scale trem headless and because i've been listening to a lot of Holdsworth last few gig and video's on YT with him playing his Sig HH2, i decided to make it AH inspided & cambered/semi, still kicking around the design of the cambering but i think rather than hog out everything i'll beehive/support it with just a full camber on top/bottom 5mm or so depth on each side.

Still lot's to sort out on the wood (i don't do the "tonewood" thing) but the body Core will be White limba (because i've had a 30mm piece of it kicking around for an age) and top will be Black limba (with orange streaks) not sure about the back/top yet i was hopping to find another black limba 7mm top cheap (shout if you have one please) i'll keep an eye out for some on evilbay but i do have a 7mm "snake wood" bookmatched top i got from a chinese seller years ago for 99p (not sure wtf snake wood is but hey i looks good enough for a back/top so!)

Doubt i'll start on it for another week or so as we've just collected a new puppy yesterday!  W.I.P pics (+ pup pic's to follow)

Cheers
Gizmo

This one is On Hold as i sold the Trem unit and im waitting for a real Hipshot to pop up...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Ok so I've deffo not seen one of these before! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Cool, watching this..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    edited February 21
    Decided to recut the RG/Tele RGT mashup i designed last year but in 2pc Black limba

I sprayed the Ash one i made last year in a baby blue acrylic that i had 2 cans of that had been sitting around for a few years...the stuff will just not cure at all, 6 month+ on hanging in the workshop (2 months above a hot wood stove) it's still nail mark soft,so it's gone in a bag of stripper this afternoon and will get refinished when the weather picks up.....

Im also trying a diffrent approch to flipping/cutting the backside of the job on this cut, before now i've used the 4 corner dowel method with a fixed work zero on the blank, but after watching a few video's on YT byTwo Cherries Instruments i decided to try his approch from the following video.

laters

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    This is very cool. Can I ask what software you’re using to make up your designs? (And what hardware for that matter!) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    guitaraj said:
    This is very cool. Can I ask what software you’re using to make up your designs? (And what hardware for that matter!) 

Hey @guitaraj thanks for the reply, My CAD software in a very old version of Rhino (got it with a laptop from ebay when everyone was tech blowing out selling off during covid) but Fusion360 will do much the same, My hardware is akin to a partscaster, it was a workbee cnc but i've replaced pretty much every part of it aside from the aluminium frame and motors,the Bulkman QueenBee Pro is aboput the closest thing you can buy as a selfbuild kit (YT has a lot of bulid use videos of them) i have a Fixed Z-Axis upgrade i need to cut some mounting plates for.

Need to cut a cavitiy cover and a matching headstock venner & drill a few holes out....i think i'll either finish this in polyoil or i might try CA if i can find a good value/bulk source, ive had great results with CA on some pocket knife handles.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    Thanks for the info @Gizmo - much appreciated and the guitar is looking immense!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom