Boss CE-2 How Much? !!

What's Hot
ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
Our covers band has added a couple of 80s songs which really need an 80s chorus sound. I can get an approximation with the slowest speed on my Mini Vent 2 or a faux-chorus with my Elec Lady, but I thought I'd perhaps pick up a cheap used Boss CE-2 like we all had back in the day, and nail it properly. 

The thing is, there's no such thing as a "cheap used Bos CE-2", cos they're going for £150 and up, especially if you want a Made in Japan job! What's that all about?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Isn’t there a Behringer clone to help you out?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    Mooer Ensemble King pedal.

It’s identical in sound and has the benefit of a level control too.

I have a 30 year old CE-2 and the Mooer is bang on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    As for the Japanese ones being expensive… wait until you go down the rabbit hole of the different screw colours…
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Metal Screw Long Dash or GTFO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    CE2W is all
    you need 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    edited January 8
    Gassage said:
    Mine’s got a metal screw….but is it long dash? I’ve got nothing to compare it with 

https://i.imgur.com/4FtdBKN.jpg
  • edited January 8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4N4mx52Bs

If you could actually hear that much of a difference, and especially at a live gig, it'd be worth the extra money, but since you can't, that is why I have a UC-200 on my pedal board.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1147
    I’ve got a jam waterfall which is great, but the Mooer ensemble king was also really great and didn’t cost nearly as much 
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Came in to say Mooer Ensemble King. One of those and an Elec Lady has you covered for the 80s sounds (the Smiths AND The Cure... and The Police). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Of course the real and only answer is that you don't need chorus because it's not 1985 anymore.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    Try and find a CE-2b.

I'm about 90% certain its the same as the CE-2, only with a clean blend. But it can be had for a fraction of the cost of a CE-2 because it is ugly and brown, not shiny and blue. 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    ... you don't need chorus because it's not 1985 anymore.
    Funny but perhaps you missed what the OP said:
    Our covers band has added a couple of 80s songs which really need an 80s chorus sound.

• edited January 9
    Further to the mention of the EC200 as a cheaper alternative, the CE-1 and the CE2 were both around in the Eighties, so it could be either which one is hearing on many classic records if it isn't some rack module. Of the two, the CE1 is more of an in your face effect than the CE2, which is more subtle, but since the UC200 is basically a copy of the CE1, it is possibly more suited to a live situation, where subtlety in effects is often lost on the audience and in any case, if you watch that comparison video and listen to it, you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference which justified the price disparity.

If it's just gonna be used on one or two covers at a gig, there's little point in spending a lot on a Boss when the Behringer will do the trick for peanuts. I know they cop for a bit of flak for having ABS cases, but I've never had one of those break - ABS plastic is actually incredibly strong - so I don't see the problem with that unless you wear motorcyle boots and jump on your pedals when gigging.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    Of course the real and only answer is that you don't need chorus because it's not 1985 anymore.

I know it was said in jest - but my chorus pedal is one of the most useful (and one of the few) pedals I use in my function / pub band - incredibly useful for decorating parts of the setlist throughout.
    Curently using a DC-2 Waza but the Boss Super Chorus CH-1 I had was doing a more than adequate job.
    To be honest live... no one's really going to know (or care) what chorus pedal you are using in the wash of sound...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    Quite seriously, how about an HX One, noting it will probably kick another 3 "feature pedals" off your board as well? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    Quite seriously, how about an HX One, noting it will probably kick another 3 "feature pedals" off your board as well? 
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think so. The HX One is one of those new fangled thingies with LCD screens that give me option paralysis and oblige me to spend hours working out what they do. 

I'm probably going to buy a Mooer Ensemble King, as it will fit on my board more easily than a Boss-sized pedal and it's cheap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    The CE-3 sells for a fraction of the price of a CE-2 and sounds very similar. (I actually prefer it.)

The CE-5 is probably even less and is close enough for most purposes. The CH-1 is a bit different, but still a ‘Boss Chorus sound’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TobyBTobyB Frets: 13
    TC electronic Dimension chorus will get you there for £40. Seriously great pedal for the money and covers all 80s sounds
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    edited January 9
    Gassage said:
    I got one of these in September for £100. Bargain I thought. Unfortunately it doesn't work and the seller doesn't seem to want to refund me for a return.  B
    Light turns on but no effect comes out with the dials in any position.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    I have had a Mooer Ensemble King along with various other chorus pedals and I'm not usually one for cork sniffery, but there is something about the Waza CE-2W which just takes it to another level. 

It also won the Andertons blind Chorus shootout which suggests there is something in it. 

That said in a pub you probably won't appreciate the difference, but it's a pedal that's never come off my board and I don't regret splashing out on for one second.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom