Parallel FX

What's Hot
luckylucky Frets: 19
I've just go an EHX tri parallel mixer as I like a bit of bi-amping but wanted in one signal. I know these kind of boxes that allow using multiple parallel fx are becoming more common (OBNE/LS2) but there is not loads of info about how people use these- so how do you use it?

This includes anything from what pedals, what genre, and any problems or tips picked up along the way

I'll start, I'm still trying to find the right balance of multiple signals because of the difference in volume, I like combining drives but then if using only one then its obviously quieter. I'm thinking of putting a clean boost after the mixer which can increase the volume when using one channel. I don't know if I ever get in to using 3 channels at once if I'll need another boost to balance 1/2/3 channels. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    edited January 8
    OK- be careful here.

Generally, a parallel mixer is used, in base form, to split and remix a signal- so in the case of a digital delay- you can split the signal, then send to the delay (on 'dry kill') then send ONLY the repeats back to a retained analogue signal - so the output is still analogue but the repeats are digital. It sounds huge. Some top end delays, Cornish TES as an eg, do this internally which is why it sounds so huge.

Something like the OBNE or EHX is more about mixing three sep parallel signals into one output, so that you're not running say a chorused signal into a phaser signal, or something like that. I think it could do the above but not sure.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    I found the secret was to use compression to help level out signals, particularly if blending with a clean signal.

The issue is the decay of the note. Drive is a form of compression so the clean side needs a compressor to get the note decay to match. Without that it always sounds like 2 separate things rather than a properly mixed signal. This applies to lower gain settings as well, blended with high gain or other ‘wall of sounds’ effects like synth pedals.

In the past I’ve had proper mad signal chains with 2 LS-2 and multiple compressors to get it all to balance properly. But I’m never trying to lift a board like that again!

Now I do it all in my Helix.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 959
    I use this for my delay sound playing live. My signal chain goes:
    Tuner > comp > OD > blender (which has a loop with a volume pedal into an analogue delay with 100% wet mix) > reverb > Chase Tone Secret preamp > Amp

So the signal is split at the blender, which is this:
    https://brightonion.co.uk/products/blender-looper

and then I can adjust the amount of signal going into the delay pedal. This means I can build up the delay then cut it and the delay is still going while I play clean over the trails. 

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    https://reverb.com/item/38305426-dpfx-pedals-krama-parallel-blender-with-pan-boost-xlr-out-can-handle-line-level-signals

I use one of these. Used to own an OBNE Signal  Blender but I found it lacked headroom. This doesn’t. 
  • luckylucky Frets: 19
    I found the secret was to use compression to help level out signals, particularly if blending with a clean signal.

The issue is the decay of the note. Drive is a form of compression so the clean side needs a compressor to get the note decay to match. Without that it always sounds like 2 separate things rather than a properly mixed signal. This applies to lower gain settings as well, blended with high gain or other ‘wall of sounds’ effects like synth pedals.

In the past I’ve had proper mad signal chains with 2 LS-2 and multiple compressors to get it all to balance properly. But I’m never trying to lift a board like that again!

Now I do it all in my Helix.
     One thing on my to do list is try it with a mini mimic/doubler in front of some kind of modulation to see how it sounds really leaning into making two separate sounds- I guess I should make sure there is different compression on each sound to distinguish the attack and decay. I'll report back...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Blend a synth pedal in with your lead boost

Mix an overdrive and an over the top fuzz

For me it means I can get a really crazy sound and then make it useful by blending it with something more normal. There's a lot of fun, impractical pedals out there
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I have an HX Effects that does this out if the box. Some ideas:

Parallel compression for clean sounds
    Parallel processing of big reverb and delay for more definition and ambience
    Mix two dirt pedals for a huge driven sound - a fuzz and an OD work well. SD-1 and some sort of Big muff, for example. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    You just need to be careful with phase with parallel effects. That tiny latency you get with digital effects isn't noticeable when playing through them really but when mixed with your dry signal they will be slightly out of phase and sound a bit strange. So like Gassage said the effects need to be set 100 % wet .

www.2020studios.co.uk