10 inch speaker to match with WGS G12C

What's Hot
liftmanliftman Frets: 61
edited March 19 in Amps
I'm thinking of getting a 12 + 10 cab made with a WGS G12C for the 12 inch. Any ideas for a good 10 inch to go with it ? It's to go with a blackface Pro Reverb in head form.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    WGS G10c/s? Specs show it's a bit louder than the G10c (98db) so a better match for the G12c. 
  • It’s always hard to predict stuff like this, but maybe the Eminence 1028k would work. It’s a great alnico choice for Fender blackface amps, scooped in a similar way to the G12C. Not sure how loud it is compared to the G12C though.
    Also only available in 8ohms.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Or maybe the WGS G10A would be a safe bet, although it’s a bit pricey.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• liftmanliftman Frets: 61
    Thanks for these suggestions - yes the WGS 10c/s is closest in loudness, also the Eminence Legend 1058 ( 98.7 compared to 97 for the 1028k ). I do like the sound of those 1028k 's though...

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    Celestion G10 Vintage would be my suggestion.

Despite the name, I have found it to work really well for pretty much anything.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Might be a better idea on principle than reality as matching timbre and volumes would be hit and miss. I'd google existing similar cabs and see if someone else has already done the research for you.
    Might be a better idea on principle than reality as matching timbre and volumes would be hit and miss. I'd google existing similar cabs and see if someone else has already done the research for you.
    Good idea!
    I've found this so far which is interesting re. position of speakers....

'I have done a super reverb in 10-12. I think 10-12 have a sound all their own

Duke Robillard btw likes this. He has a Louie Electric 10-12 combo

BUT, it is VERY DIFFICULT to match the speakers & get something nice

What I have learned is this: have the 10 speaker 1 or 2 dbs above the 12 (but not more) , because 12s have a tendency to drown the 10. You also have to be careful how to place the speakers in the cab. Have the centers of the speakers at the same height & NOT diagonal.'
    also this -

The 12" ET65 and 10" G10C/S speaker  were recommended directly from WGS as their "BEST" 12/10 combo. Creamy low's, tight midrange, sparkling highs, warm smooth sound and depth for some of the best tones ever created! Take note we are pairing a British cone with an American cone to achieve even more complex tones.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For those who are interested I ended up getting a fantastic lightweight pine cab from Blackbird Cabs with a WGS G10 c & WGS G12 c . They match really well -  the 10 inch is slightly louder , maybe because it's new compared to the 12 ? It's registered as lower sensitivity so was concerned it might be quieter.
    The cab's matched with an Emprize head based on a Fender Pro Reverb. I have a drip-edge Pro but have retired it due to the weight. The Emprize is brilliant too, similar sounding to the combo but a bit more dynamic, less scooped and possibly more gainy. Looking forward to gigging it , sounds great at house volume so is only going to get better wound up.
    Also enjoying the fast response of the 10 mixed in. Trem and rev on the Emprize are deeper than the Fender. The cab's really light which was an important factor too. Overall very pleased with this slightly risky venture!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    liftman said:
    For those who are interested ...
    Thank you.
    liftman said:
    Overall very pleased with this slightly risky venture!
    Well done! Long may the happiness last.
    Nice one! Yeah I found the g10c quite loud despite its sensitivity rating.

That Emprize sounds interesting, was it a custom build? I tried his princeton and brown deluxe at a show a few years back and was really impressed. 
    Yes the Emprize was a custom build. I have one of the Princetons ( Helmsley) and it's a fantastic amp. Has a WgsG12c in and I'm just amazed by the headroom and volume in general. However just for my loudest band it doesn't quite have the headroom for full fuzz etc. and I used the Fender Pro Rev for that band. But can't carry it any more so.. the Emprize Pro. It's like a cross between my Fender and the Helmsley sound- wise, hard to describe but single notes have more weight to them than the Fender. 
    It sounds like a great gigging amp! 
    strat84 said:
    It sounds like a great gigging amp! 
    Yes I reckon it will be - don't have a gig with the loud band 'til May so looking forward to that. Also if I'm recording anything needing the classic lush Fender sound with trem and reverb this'll be the one!