Joe Bonamassa 'Indian' scale

What's Hot
AJSAJS Frets: 43
I saw a brief clip on you tube of joe Bonamassa jamming around a eastern style or indian scale.  Unfortunately I cannot find the clip anymore.  I also think he uses the scale in Mountain time.

Does anyone know what thw structure of the scale is?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited January 12
    Could it be the harmonic minor?  That, to my cloth ears, has a vaguely eastern, exotic sound...

e.g. https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/harmonic-minor-the-five-patterns-sc-704 for some noodling ideas...

JM
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Sounds like it might just be a pentatonic variant like 1 3 4 5 b7 which I've seen called the 'Hindu' pentatonic scale.
  • Here's a bunch of distinctive sounding 'Japanese' pentatonics:
    https://www.musicnotes.com/blog/japanese-scales-in-music-theory/
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited January 12
    The other "Hindu" scale is the 5th mode of melodic minor, which is basically an upside-down melodic minor, in other words major on the bottom, Aeolian at the top: 1 M2 M3 4 5 m6 m7 8. This is what's naturally used on the Dominant (V chord) of a minor piece, but when used on the Tonic, it has a lovely Eastern feel. Not as Eastern as the double-harmonic / snake-charmer scale, or Phrygian Dominant or whatever but falls easily to the hands of people who are used to melodic minor. It's also called Mixolydian b6 or Aeolian Dominant. I love it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like it might just be a pentatonic variant like 1 3 4 5 b7 which I've seen called the 'Hindu' pentatonic scale.
    I've annoyed myself by saying 'it's just a xxx scale' when, as ever, it's all about note choice and phrasing!

You can get some pretty exotic sounds by pushing the 'plain old' minor pentatonic with certain inflections: b5, bent third, random chromaticisms*, etc. I quite like this approach because you can use the 'plain old' as a basic framework and not have to learn 100 other variations: if you can hear it, you can try and squeeze it out of your fingers...so there is value in getting familiar with, say, those Japanese scales I linked above just so you can absorb the flavour of the intervals.

* I think of this as 'engaging Chris Poland mode' for any old school Megadeth fans ;)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    Harmonic minor and its modes can produce some sexy sounds. 
    In the traditional east European Jewish modal music that I play on clarinet (klezmer), the mode starting on the fifth degree of the harmonic minor scale is called Ahava Raba or freygish and starts with a half-step then jumps an augmented 2nd to the major third. This gives an interesting combination of minor tonality that is harmonised major. 

The other varient starts of the fourth degree and puts the augmented 2nd between the 3rd and 4th degree.... this mode is called mishebeyrach and is a prety sacred mode. Has minor tonality and is harmonised minor. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    edited January 12
    Can you post some examples...would love to hear?
    merlin said:
    Harmonic minor and its modes can produce some sexy sounds. 
    In the traditional east European Jewish modal music that I play on clarinet (klezmer), the mode starting on the fifth degree of the harmonic minor scale is called Ahava Raba or freygish and starts with a half-step then jumps an augmented 2nd to the major third. This gives an interesting combination of minor tonality that is harmonised major. 
    That's 'phrygian dominant'.
    merlin said:
    The other varient starts of the fourth degree and puts the augmented 2nd between the 3rd and 4th degree.... this mode is called mishebeyrach and is a prety sacred mode. Has minor tonality and is harmonised minor. 
    ...and that's 'dorian #11' (had to look that one up ).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited January 13
    merlin said:

^ That's basically dorian with an augmented 4th - I love that too

edit: oh, like DK said lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • AJSAJS Frets: 43
    Thanks for all that.  I will start rto work through some of this
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • DamianMDamianM Frets: 13
    edited March 4
    You can make a normal mixolydian scale sound quite 'indian' if you put the bends in the right places and do them quickly like a sitar .