Tony Clarkin RIP

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 11701
Very sad indeed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22839
    edited January 9
    Oh shit!  I've read some reports in the last few weeks about his health issues which led to the tour cancellation, but I didn't appreciate it was anything so serious.

I haven't followed Magnum's work much over recent decades, but I did really like some of the early stuff.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540
    Likewise really. I had multiple albums in the 80's and saw them once at Cardiff Uni in 1985. For them to still be going now is damn impressive. RIP Tony.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    When I was at college one of my fellow students was part of a family who were in some kind of biker gang. I went with him to see Iron Maiden and he invited me to a pub in pretty much the worst bit of Wolverhampton where we saw Magnum do a tour warm up gig for just these bikers. Maybe 100 people and I saw them again a week later playing to 2500 people in Birmingham. Fair to say that I don’t remember it now in great detail but I do remember it with huge fondness.
     I remember Magnum posing in Portmerion for The Tube and they were on the line up of my one trip to Monsters of Rock (appalling live sound meant they didn’t really take the place by storm). Magnum were very much local heroes (in later years headlining the Civic in Wolverhampton when they were basically a club band elsewhere) and Tony was the main writer and guitar hero, very much one of those players who was happy not to have endless solos and ‘play for the song.’ He didn’t appear a lot in guitar magazines or get many mentions elsewhere maybe but top musician and every story about him was ‘what a nice man.’ 
    Sad to hear of his passing, proper rock legend. RIP.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    https://youtu.be/p_i4pLdN5HM?si=Wr5EmXgpZyxAX9ba

Tony, beard and band miming for Jools and Stephen Fry. Circa 1981? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    https://youtu.be/p_i4pLdN5HM?si=Wr5EmXgpZyxAX9ba

Tony, beard and band miming for Jools and Stephen Fry. Circa 1981? 
    That would have been 1986 when they were promoting the Vigilante album.

I'm absolutely crushed by this news, Tony was one of my heroes.  I know no-one lives forever, and he did remarkably well considering he had a heart attack in 1983, but when the person that wrote the soundtrack to your adult life passes it cuts deep.

Sublime songwriter, classy, tasteful, understated guitarist with terrific tone, and an all round thoroughly decent person. 

I think the best description I ever read of his guitar style was from Simon Bradley, who used to roadie for Magnum before entering journalism, calling it 'a steel fist in a velvet glove'.

RIP Tony.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22839
    I've just remembered that it was, to some extent, Tony Clarkin's change of image which made me lose interest in Magnum.  When he shaved his head, trimmed his beard and started wearing shades it was a bit unnerving, like he went from Gimli to Dave Stewart. 

I know that's very superficial but the music did seem to get slicker, more polished around the same time so that was a factor as well.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Magnum was the first "pro" gig I went to.  Mid 80s at the Barrowland, supported by Glasgow's own Heavy Pettin.  I was quite nervous about getting in as it was a licensed venue and I was about 15 (and looked 12) but of course in those days it was no problem and taller mates were served at the bar without question.  The audience were a good mix of hair metal fans and older school rock types.
    I was struck by the volume of Heavy Pettin; at the start all I could hear was noise for the first few tracks until my ears got used to it.  They were probably playing way louder than any permitted volume limit today!  Ah Heavy Pettin... they had a good look and some decent songs but although singer Hamie had big hair is singing voice was IMHO dreadful - an octave above peak Geddy Lee that had dog's barking 10 miles away.
    I enjoyed Magnum and even then could see that they were polished from a LOT of live gigs.  They were coming to the peak of their UK popularity. They had good songs, Bob Catley has a good voice, and the guitars were tasteful.  Probably not glamourous enough to make it big time but I was always pleased to see they could make a living from music for 50 years.
  • My dad was a huge Magnum fan so I grew up on them. Have seen them regularly since I was 12 including the side project Hard rain after they’d split for a short period. 

Got to meet Tony when I was 12 backstage after the show on the Rockart tour. He didn’t say much and seemed like a quiet guy. Bob was ill that night so didn’t come out. Mark Stanway was a lovely guy and made a point of coming over and chatting to me. I probably looked a little nervous. 

Finally met Bob a few years later just chilling at the bar before a show. 

A really great band and Tony was a master songwriter, outside  of the fan base he doesn’t get the credit her deserves.