Modal (quartal) comping - warning jazz content

What's Hot
joeWjoeW Frets: 464
Hi - am working thro Jinrikisha by Joe Henderson and playing the real book changes sounds pretty off.  It's yes not the chords themselves but more that McCoy Tyner's use of quartal voicing is so much a part of the sound, I need to figure it out.

Can anyone point me to some decent resources for quantal voicings - most of the stuff I have found is for Impressions which is pretty easy with 2 minor chords but I could use a more complete framework

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    edited January 10
    Here is a great introduction for quartal comping from cory  ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 464
    west said:
    Here is a great introduction for quartal comping from cory  ....

Thanks - watching now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Maiden Voyage Guitar Voicings by Mike DiLiddo in the Jamey Aebersold series is a great introduction to jazz comping and contains enough quartal stuff (including Maiden Voyage itself) to give you a solid start.  Warmly recommended, I found the whole book incredibly useful.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 464
    @west - that was an great video.  I have seen him talk about triad pairs - so simple and clear.  Rockin the pale chinos and black shoes too … v powerful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Yes its great and hes a really cool chap too ... i had some tuition with cory on a welsh jazz course and i played his buscarino gigmaster in the video and then bought one myself , ive since changed it for a collings , i hope the video helps anyone whos interested .... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom