Amazon ship in own container (SIOC) - is it avoidable?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
Not sure what category to put this in but I'm choosing fx as that's what I was buying from Amazon! =)

I recently ordered a quite expensive pedal from Amazon and it turned up with no external box...so, just in the box with all the graphics etc that you might want if you were going to resell at some point. It was covered in stickers, one side was completely ripped off, it was bashed and stained. I was suitably irked and sent it back. I believe this is part of their effort to reduce packaging, which is great but not something I want in all cases. A simple paper bag would have been fine.

My question is - is there any way to make sure they wrap the product in some way? If I say it's a gift, with they cover it? I don't see any way of opting out of SIOC.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470

I bought one of these for the kids at Christmas - see how there is the bit that says it arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside?  I selected to ship in Amazon packing and they put it in a larger Amazon branded box. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    Interesting - the pedal I bought didn't say that...and looking at it now, there's nothing like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Line-chatted with them in the end and did the purchase while chatting. They've assured me it will be packaged this time. Also put it down as a gift (which it kind of is...my birthday next week!)  =)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Select "ship amazon packaging" :)
    Select "ship amazon packaging" :)
    Not there as an option unfortunately 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    As I understand it the Amazon packaging is just the cardboard brown/swoosh etc, it should still be in its original box. Are you sure this wasn’t through the marketplace?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    edited January 10
    daveyh said:
    As I understand it the Amazon packaging is just the cardboard brown/swoosh etc, it should still be in its original box. Are you sure this wasn’t through the marketplace?
    I think it had the original box, but the OP wanted an additional brown box for the shipping labels to be attached to. But buying a pedal with the intention of keeping the box pristine to sell it on seems a bit weird, surely it’s better to buy one you want to keep.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    mrkb said:
    daveyh said:
    I think it had the original box, but the OP wanted an additional brown box for the shipping labels to be attached to. But buying a pedal with the intention of keeping the box pristine to sell it on seems a bit weird, surely it’s better to buy one you want to keep.
    Well yes, but often the manufacturer's box isn't enough to guarantee it stays safe during shipping, I'd want another layer as standard ideally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    daveyh said:
    What’s wrong with weird?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    mrkb said:
    daveyh said:
    Ah yes, misread it. In which shipping in Amazon packaging is an option as already shown.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    This is something I feel strongly about. Last December I had a USB microphone sent to me from Amazon and as said here, there was no extra packaging on the box and 'Zon' labels plastered all over it.
    As well as looking bad for selling on it tempts the carriers etc? "Oooo! I could do with a microphone this Crimble"

I am in a local chat/help forum and almost every day there are reports of lost deliveries.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    daveyh said:
    mrkb said:
    daveyh said:
    Ah yes, misread it. In which shipping in Amazon packaging is an option as already shown.
    That option wasn’t there in this case though. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    Not an Amazon issue in my case, but I bought a pedal from eBay that was advertised as boxed, had the box in the picture etc.

Arrived in the box, but parcel tape, address label etc etc just stuck to the outside.

Now, I don't really care about boxes and wouldn't have minded if it didn't have one... But advertising as boxed, photographing box etc and then doing that is a shitty move. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 253
    My partner bought me a Christmas present and that was delivered next door (just left on the doorstep) and no packaging - just address stickers on the box.

So I found out what it was as I went to pick it up. 

There may or may not have been an option for it to be sent in Amazon packaging, but having seen some of the stuff they send in massive boxes for no particular reason I find it odd they decide to leave electronic gear open to the elements.
  • Other companies that do this #1 - Tower Housewares.

Thankfully my Dad didn't care that the Air Fryer he had for Christmas was in a ripped box covered in delivery labels. Still slightly annoying though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I bought a Rickenbacker bass on Ebay and it arrived in the hard case with a shipping label stuck to it! The bass was fine - well, apart from being absolutely filthy, despite being advertised as ‘mint’ - but one corner of the case was damaged.

I would never think it’s acceptable to post something in just its manufacturer’s box with no secondary packaging, even though I totally understand trying to minimise waste. A simple paper bag is fine for something where the box is quite sturdy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    I might well be misremembering, but I've got a vague feeling that once I selected the "ship in Amazon packaging" option, to avoid this, and it still just shipped in its own box!

But usually (if it's an option, which it isn't always, as already pointed out) that works.

And I also agree with @ICBM , there's avoiding waste, and then doing silly stuff which may well lead to more waste. The original box isn't enough, especially if you're buying it for anyone else, or buying something for yourself which you may well want to sell on eventually.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited January 11
    when buying collectables off ebay a big part of the value can be the box itself. Every item should imo be packaged or on inspection  delivery refused . On a shelf in a shop a damaged box would more likely lead to a reduction.  boxes may be tampererd with and then you have to deal with it. parts missing etc. Not everything bought off Amazon is non collectable years down the line..... 
    Imagine your new guitar being delivered in its case with stickers slapped all over it... post offices by me now refusing to deal with Amazon returns.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I bought a lego set once and chose the 2hour delivery option and it came with the address label stuck directly onto the Lego box.  That was the only time.  Normally their packaging is excessive.

I guess the way to make sure there is some kind of packaging, if it is a small enough item, is to order something else to go into the order with it, something small, something with the same delivery time table.

Amazon is not the only one who does this though, I've had it from other people. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    edited January 11
    Just as well you didn't order a toy from Love Honey that arrived only in the product box 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom