Truss Rod?

rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
edited January 10 in Acoustics
Just a thought.On a recent new guitar I checked the relief and needed to be tightened.So did this and plays nicely.What I did notice while doing this I felt little resistance on the Allen key it moved smoothly.In over fifty years of acoustic guitars never had this.Is this normal?
Thks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just a thought.On a recent new guitar I checked the relief and needed to be tightened.So did this and plays nicely.What I did notice while doing this I felt little resistance on the Allen key it moved smoothly.In over fifty years of acoustic guitars never had this.Is this normal?
    Thks in advance.
    It's not that unusual given the variance in ambient temperature we are experiencing recently in Blighty
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    New guitar and built properly
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited January 10
    New guitar and built properly
    Wow,the others must  have been  crap…….
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I reckon alot of "Mahogany" necks compress fast and put more pressure on the washer as they age. The brass nut also oxidises and pushes on said washer. Some newer acoustics possibly also have a sleeve on the rod so it slides more easily under the board.
  • 3Winny_Pooh said:
    I reckon alot of "Mahogany" necks compress fast and put more pressure on the washer as they age. The brass nut also oxidises and pushes on said washer. Some newer acoustics possibly also have a sleeve on the rod so it slides more easily under the board.
    Good point didn’t know this.Seriously though never had this before .What made me think it was unusual as it was a lower priced guitar.Over the years never noticed it even on high end stuff(Martin,Santa Cruz)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Some newer acoustics possibly also have a sleeve on the rod so it slides more easily under the board.
    There might be something to this. I notice that my Furch adjusts easily as compared to my various other instruments. (None of them are difficult, but most are firmer than the Furch.) The Furch has its truss rod encased in a carbon fibre sleeve, I understand. 

When I first looked at the Furch truss rod tool I was a bit concerned - it's a very small Allen key - just 4mm - which doesn't look up to the task. Most other makes use something with a bit more meat on it. But in practice it is perfectly sufficient.