Rattle Can Painting Nibs

CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 73
edited January 11 in Making & Modding

If any of you are going to be rattle-can spray painting anything. Then I recommend getting cans with fan nibs and not the generic hole nibs.

My spraying has went from getting it right nearly every time to getting it right first time.

The fan nibs are a slot that gives finer more consistent droplets with a slightly larger coverage area cone. 

The cost of a can (Halfords v Rapid Paints) is slightly more expensive from RP but once factoring in they are delivered to the door at no extra cost and I have found I can get two guitar bodies and some spare, rather than one body and sweating if I have enough to fix errors......

You can buy fan nibs separate, just make sure you get the correct female connector for the 'cheap' tins.

RP have supplied me with primer, base coat and top lacquer with fan nibs and it has certainly changed my way of thinking on rattle can spraying, as I can't be arsed with using the guns n mixing/cleaning etc now..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    yeah, I was doing some picture frames with some cheap rattle cans recently and it doesn't take long to end up with drips when using a round nozzle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    Good tip. Thanks for sharing @CampbellH ;
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    All my lacquers come with fan pattern spray heads, except those which are used for the outside of bursts such as Tobacco Brown (or any other colour on request) as the round nozzles are much better for getting a nice tight edge.
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 73
    All my lacquers come with fan pattern spray heads, except those which are used for the outside of bursts such as Tobacco Brown (or any other colour on request) as the round nozzles are much better for getting a nice tight edge.

That's interesting, I might test that out on some scrap with some of the older cans I have here. I just find them too unpredictable on wood, I thought I was going mad as I have had no issues on the metalwork of various many cars over the years.