True stereo tape delays

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
I'm looking at various options for a tape delay style pedal that has a similar feature set to the El Capistan, (especially sound on sound mode) but operates in true stereo. The Keeley eccos looks a decent candidate, what do you guys think? Any others you'd recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
    I think the boss one does.. re202? not sure about a sound on sound mode

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    If you cool your jets Dawner Prince about to release a tube-driven stereo Binson clone.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited January 12
    @Gassage ;;;Not a tape effect, but yeah that would still fit the bill for sure...:drool:
    edited January 12
    Can't imagine this will come cheap...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 13
    Still looking for other true stereo tape delays
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    NUX NDD7 is stereo, has SOS. At the cheaper end for this kind of thing but fine tuning features, good reviews,etc,etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Mr. Black Tapex 2. Very simple but sounds awesome. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    Empress Echo System?
  • Innocent question: what is a true stereo tape delay?

Is there any stereo-ness imparted by the delay or is it what I would call 'dual mono' which preserves a stereo input?
    edited January 13
    I'm sure someone will explain better but most 'stereo' delays pedals have those inputs/outputs just to accommodate a stereo rig, nothing more (resulting in dual mono as you say). But true stereo will allow wacky effects like ping ponging between two amps for example, or a dry signal to be sent to one amp and the wet to another. It results in a much bigger sound. Not necessarily better, just bigger and wider. 
  • I did some thinking about this when I put a stereo DI board together based around a Simplifier (and I had a thing for Boss pedals at the time)...

Loop went out in mono to a DM-2w...then went stereo with a CE-2w...then a Mini Vent...DD-8...Supa-Trem2...DC-2w...then back to the Simplifier where it got some stereo plate reverb.

I do like a bit of ping-pong but I opted to keep the DD-8 as a straight 'dual mono' delay (could always do something fancy in the DAW if required). I just figured there was more than enough stereo happening...it could easily become counter-productive with too much going on.
    edited January 13
    @digitalkettle ;;Yeah lots of good options to enhance the stereo field further in a DAW; eventide micropitch is great for this. True stereo pedal operation is veering into cork sniffer territory I think lol