Danelectro Reel Echo - any fans?

What's Hot
KurasKuras Frets: 71
Hi all

I had a Reel Echo which I used regularly around 15 years ago. I replaced it with a Way Huge Aqua Puss, then borrowed a friends Space Echo before settling on the Volante, which I adore. My friend returned the Reel Echo after borrowing it for a number of years. Do we have any fans of this echo? I haven’t plugged it in yet but cleaned it up ready for a potential sale since it cannot imagine it replacing the Volante

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    I love mine so much I made two separate videos on how I use it. It's a bit bulky, bit noisy, quite heavy, but I'm not selling it. I have other delays I prefer the tone of (EQD Disaster Transport, anything analogue), but the controls on this are amazing.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I remember a friend had one and it sounded magnificent. But I was 16 and this was over two decades ago before the embarrassment of choice we have now.Maybe even pre DL-4?? I had a DD-3 like everyone else plus a DE7 eventually. Never compared the echo mode in that to the Dano though, stupidly. 

Interesting to see how it compares!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty certian that this is what Darrell Higham used to use into his trusty old Peavey Delta Blues. He may still be using it, not sure! 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I love mine so much I made two separate videos on how I use it. It's a bit bulky, bit noisy, quite heavy, but I'm not selling it. I have other delays I prefer the tone of (EQD Disaster Transport, anything analogue), but the controls on this are amazing.

It was Anton's videos that brought me onto this pedal big time. And who knew that the creator would become a very good friend too. 

I really miss mine - sold it due to poverty as usual, and I used to love using it on loops and melodies to really make the song trippy. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:
    I'm pretty certian that this is what Darrell Higham used to use into his trusty old Peavey Delta Blues. He may still be using it, not sure! 

Darrel seems to have used one (alongside Zoom multi FX for reverb and tremolo) although a quick Google suggests he uses a Mystery Brain for delay these days. The Dano definitely eye catching. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    joetele said:

It was Anton's videos that brought me onto this pedal big time. And who knew that the creator would become a very good friend too. 

I really miss mine - sold it due to poverty as usual, and I used to love using it on loops and melodies to really make the song trippy. 
    Aww shucks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2364
    Yes.

Best to place it on top of your amp so it's easy to reach.
  • Still have mine from when they were released. I haven’t tried it for years but it was my favourite delay for a long time so I should grab it from loft. 
  • KurasKuras Frets: 71
    edited February 12
    I finally got round to plugging the Reel Echo in and really enjoyed it.

It sounds like a digital delay that's been voiced really well. The repeats go on and on without any degradation much like a digital delay. The solid state setting is great and works nicely with the lo fi control. The tube setting is too dark and muddy for my liking. The mix blend is really good also, the repeats can nice and loud. The warble is quite fun, nothing like a MM chorus and very artificial sounding but great nonetheless for certain things.

I have managed to sell the pedal but I enjoyed pluging in this quirkly delay. I saw two on Denmark Street and one of them was for sale for £200!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I seem to recall this being on Glenn Hughes board back in the 00s
    Kuras said:
    I finally got round to plugging the Reel Echo in and really enjoyed it.

It sounds like a digital delay that's been voiced really well. The repeats go on and on without any degradation much like a digital delay. The solid state setting is great and works nicely with the lo fi control. The tube setting is too dark and muddy for my liking. The mix blend is really good also, the repeats can nice and loud. The warble is quite fun, nothing like a MM chorus and very artificial sounding but great nonetheless for certain things.

I have managed to sell the pedal but I enjoyed pluging in this quirkly delay. I saw two on Denmark Street and one of them was for sale for £200!
    I was in Denmark Street about an hour ago and laughing at the ones in the window.  There was also a Spring King reverb for the same price!
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited February 15
    I bought a new Danelectro DSR-1 Spring King a few years ago mainly because of the kick pad.
    It’s a brilliant fun Pedal.
    Can still be found new for £111.00

https://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dsr1_springking.htm

Yep, there was one for sale in here a couple of months ago for 70 odd quid.  Should have bought it.