Tommy Emmanuel and Molly Tuttle live

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
Just left a fantastic live show at Cadogan Hall in London. 40 minute Molly set (who I really bought the ticket to see) then 90mins of Tommy doing high energy virtuoso and some slower stuff, with 3 songs the 2 of them bringing out all the best tricks .  Fabulous show.  
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    I’m going to Lytham on Wednesday, can’t wait.
    I’ve seen both before and they are both amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I’m going to Lytham on Wednesday, can’t wait.
    I’ve seen both before and they are both amazing.
    I’m going to Lytham too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    Jealous!!

I’m already busy every night I could get tickets for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    Jealous!!

I’m already busy every night I could get tickets for.
    Take time off, it’ll be worth it. 

edited January 18
    I know - that makes it worse.

I hadn’t twigged that she was here ‘til I heard her on t’wireless the other day. The last time she was here I promised myself I wouldn’t miss her the next time - but *next* next time…

I was quite a gig-goer as a kid but that has lapsed since music went wrong, this feels a bit like some kind of “the old days” thing, but not in the least nostalgic.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I had a ticket and hotel to see her in Oxford in 2018 or 2019 I think, then got ill and couldn’t go, then COVId came along , so really please to see her.  Would love to see a full show
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I went to the Bath gig last week with a bunch of mates.  A lot of us were really there for MT, and she didn't disappoint.  Great playing, great singing.  She finished off her set with a song which featured Gsus4 tuning and a hybrid clawhammer/slap picking style, which I wasn't aware that she did.  Really cool.  I wish she would do a headline tour over here sometime.
    TE.....well I've only seen him on YT before, so I was expecting lots of notes, and thats what he did, for the most part.  I wasn't quite prepared for his high energy personality though.  Anyway, huge respect, a very talented chap, but it was all a little bit much for me.
    Overall, an excellent gig.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    Lytham last night and what a great gig.
    Both were fantastic. Molly’s voice is even better than last time I saw her and as expected, her playing was superb.
    Tommy was as good as ever. Spectacular playing and great entertainment.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    BahHumbug said:
    I went to the Bath gig last week with a bunch of mates.  A lot of us were really there for MT, and she didn't disappoint.  Great playing, great singing.  She finished off her set with a song which featured Gsus4 tuning and a hybrid clawhammer/slap picking style, which I wasn't aware that she did.  Really cool.  I wish she would do a headline tour over here sometime.
    TE.....well I've only seen him on YT before, so I was expecting lots of notes, and thats what he did, for the most part.  I wasn't quite prepared for his high energy personality though.  Anyway, huge respect, a very talented chap, but it was all a little bit much for me.
    Overall, an excellent gig.
    “take the journey” from her “When you’re ready” album

there’s a video / lesson here 

https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/perfect-the-art-of-clawhammer-guitar-with-molly-tuttles-lesson-on-how-to-play-take-the-journey

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited January 21
    I was initially delighted to find out that Molly Tuttle was on Tour in the UK, but then, when I saw that she was touring with Tommy Emmanuel, my heart fell, and, with some regret, I did not buy a ticket.

I have only seen Tommy Emmanuel once. Had to do a bit of online digging to check how long ago. I went to see him in November 2007. I then vowed that I would never go and see him again because of his shameful abuse of his Support Act (more later).
    I knew of Tommy Emmanuel. Most of his own Set consisted of one fast number after another (I find this a bit wearing, and rather like Steve Vai, I am sure would get more enjoyment if there was more song tempo variation). When he did play some slow numbers in one section of his Set, not unsurprisingly he still played well!

Five minutes after Tommy Emmanuel started his set, he stopped playing. He then spent some considerable time "Explaining" to us, the Audience, what supreme good fortune had landed on his Support Act, because "He The Incredibly Well Known Guitarist" had condescended to choose this little known acoustic guitarist to be his Support. It was deeply unpleasant abuse, which lasted far too long. If the Support had to put up with this every single night, then I felt very sorry and ashamed that he had to put up with this treatment.

The Support Act had been utterly brilliant and played beautifully………. His Name  :  Andy McKee.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    Ahem ... Tommy is consistently kind and helpful to his support acts. Most recently, when Mrs Tannin and I went to see him last year he had nothing but nice things to say about Anthony Snape. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited January 23
    Tannin said:
    Ahem ... Tommy is consistently kind and helpful to his support acts. Most recently, when Mrs Tannin and I went to see him last year he had nothing but nice things to say about Anthony Snape. 
    I accept you have had the experience of Tommy Emmanuel that you have had, but my one experience of his behaviour is exactly as I describe above…. it's indelibly etched in my memory.

The only other concert I've been to, where the main artist behaved poorly in a similar manner was Ray Davies (ex Kink), who, two thirds through a gig, launched into a diatribe about how incredibly generous he was to have lent his rhythm guitarist his mid '60's 335 for the tour. I really wondered at the time how many of the audience had any idea of exactly what a 335 was, let alone the "significance" of it being a mid '60s example.

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    Went to the Buxton gig. Outstanding playing from both of them in a beautiful venue.
    gjonesy said:
    Went to the Buxton gig. Outstanding playing from both of them in a beautiful venue.
    Nice.

Note to self… use your diary better.