NPD: Carl Martin Ampster

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
edited January 13 in FX
I've wittered on at length in other posts about my quest to find a practical "go direct" solution for my board that I can live with. It doesn't help that my ears do not like the sounds I dial in with a modeller or my use of IRs. I want to be able to use the same pedalboard all the time and don't like the unnatural faff (for me - it's my limitation) of dialling in a sound totally "in the box". Sometimes I use my own amp at a gig, sometimes it's borrowed (or even imposed) backline, sometimes it's "go direct". We don't do "silent stage" or in-ears. Even if we're going direct, there will be floor monitors. 

So, after several months using a Quilter SuperBlock US, and then another few months using a Simplifier Mk II - both of which have done the job, I've bought something that's an improvement for my "on the pedalboard" needs. I wasn't looking, as I was happy with what I had, but you all know how it is.... 

The Carl Martin Ampster contains a preamp with a 12AX7 in the circuit and a couple of analogue speaker sims. There's no power amp circuitry. Even so, for my purposes, I'm getting a direct sound that is just as good as the Simplifier and it also has no problem being hit by my pedalboard and dealing with volume changes.

There's not a lot of overdrive coming from the preamp. Even at full gain, it's not much. But as I'm looking for a clean pedal platform, I don't care - it suits me. When I want power amp distortion tones, I'm using a Revival Drive Compact, and it takes that beautifully.

On the top of the unit is a set of amplifier controls that would be very familiar to all of us. There's a footswitch to mute the output and a footswitch to toggle between the two cab sims. On the back is the input socket. There's an FX loop (not something I'm using - my board is set up to plug into a clean Fender-style amp), which I believe is after the preamp but before the cab sim.

The output is a balanced DI XLR socket with a ground lift. There's a 3-way "voicing" slider switch that changes the emphasis of the cab sims. There's also a TRS socket for plugging in any cheap 2 button latching footswitch so you can put the Ampster somewhere else, yet still have the ability to mute or switch cabs from where you are. 

The final feature is a simple output socket that takes the input signal and sends it straight out again before anything else happens.  We like a bit of onstage monitoring. With this, it should be fairly easy to plug into a low-powered clean combo, point it across the stage and I'll be in control of how loud it is without affecting the PA signal. If I'm not going direct I'll just run a backline amp as you normally would. 

So, I've changed to a less-sophisticated solution that meets my needs and has an extra capability I think will be quite useful. The main thing, always, is that I like the sounds I get through it and this is just as pleasing to me as the Simplifier and provides a feed the sound engineer will be able to work with. 

FWIW, my Simplifier Mk II is now up for sale in the Amps section. 
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/259995/fs-dsm-humbolt-simplifier-mk-ii-zero-watt-amp-249-shipped#latest 

I can't justify keeping it for all the other great things it does now I've replaced it on my board for the simple thing it was doing well for me. On this, it's one in, one out! :-) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom