New mics 2 more of my favourite dynamics

What's Hot
I have an older single MD421 that is the only dynamic I've used that can comfortably compare with a quality valve condenser on lead vocals (tried many but not an md441).
If you want great vocals for under £1000 buy one! 
I've even used it for recording acoustic guitars and it sounds brilliant. It's apparently a wide cardioid too which may help. Extremely underrated as considered a mic for toms. 
Found a set in a shop in great nick and they sound as good as my favourite. Original cases and cardboard boxes which are mysteriouly missing the inner foam insert! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Works on pretty much anything. Great mic to have and those are a lovely find. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Very cool, the great thing about a good mic is it works on basically anything.

re; great dynamics, I really love the RE20, and was pretty gutted when mine broke a few years ago.
  • I always thought it looked like a good idea to have spare clips for the MD421!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Excellent score. Did they have any more? :)

R.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Nice! I fancy adding a higher end dynamic to my collection at some point. MD421 / RE20 / M88 probably. Clips on the 421 definitely look like the weak link though!
  • Nice! I fancy adding a higher end dynamic to my collection at some point. MD421 / RE20 / M88 probably. Clips on the 421 definitely look like the weak link though!
    I was the weak link: I had this incredible knack for un-snecking the mic every time I adjusted it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Excellent score. Did they have any more? :)

R.
    Just these :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Nice! I fancy adding a higher end dynamic to my collection at some point. MD421 / RE20 / M88 probably. Clips on the 421 definitely look like the weak link though!
    I prefer an older 421 to an RE20 for most things but have used an RE20 for inside kick.

I still need to try an M88, some recordists love them for outside kick and famously Phil Collins had a personal silver M88 he took to all recording sessions.

I've seen a few makeshift clips for 421s but never had an issue with mine.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    The M88 is a fantastic mic. The old Sennheiser MD409 is lovely too but they are silly money nowadays.

My favourite dynamic mic of all is the AKG D224 but they have an unfortunate tendency to break for no reason, and no-one can repair them.
  • Using a cable tie threaded through the clip you can secure the clip in place.