J-45 drop D bass response

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5635
edited January 14 in Acoustics
Sorry, couldn't really think what else to use for a title.

OK, my J-45 is a wonderful thing and I love it to bits.  However, I'm not historically much of an acoustic player.  Iv'e dabbled over the years and have no issue playing acoustic even if I am ham fisted in my approach.

So, I'm looking for some advice on how to get the best out of the guitar.

Mostly, it's fine, but at the moment I am trying to learn a piece in drop D, with a capo at the 5th fret.  Knopfler's Marbletown - I doubt I'll ever be able to play it anything like close to the record but to a non player I think it sounds reasonably passable as a representation.

The top end and midrange sounds great but the bass, especially that open G on the 6th string sounds a bit flat and wooly.

I'm using Elixir nano web 12-53 phosphor bronze strings in case that helps any.

I've changed my capo from the otherwise superb G7 capo to el cheapo Amazon capo and that has helped a little, although it brings tuning issues to the party.

Would heavier strings be the way to go, maybe a heavier bottom, or might that cause issues with the top?  The fretted G on the low E string sounds ok when at concert pitch, so I'm wondering if the string at lower tension isn't quite enough to be as bold as notes on other strings?

Overall I think the guitar sounds better with PB strings compared with 80/20 but am willing to try any suggestions just to get that extra few % out of it - I can feel that it's there, I'm just not quite getting the best out of it.

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Simply, short scale, drop-D = trouble. 

With the short scale you are already pushing the limits. Drop-D on top of that is a bridge too far. 

Probably your best bet is to tune to F and then your "drop D" becomes "drop Eb". That ought to work.
  • Thicker strings should do it, but then you might have issues with the nut slots if you go too big.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 14
    use two capo's   -  fully capo the 3rd, then capo just the top 5 at the 5th.   --  might not work for you but I tend to do that rather than lower the tension on the low E   -   

Something I found with the 12th fret parlor (with 12s)  is that lowering the tension, even a semi tone, while on 14th fretters it can add low-end fullness  - was bloody awful, no punch,  sounded like using dirty strings
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Try a 56 gauge low E (D).

J-45s just don't have the sort of tight and punchy low-end that will work well with a 53 tuned down to D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    ^^ As above - low 56 or even a full set of 13s. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1131
    edited January 14
    @Haych I've got a J-35 with Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 12-53 strings, so a very similar guitar to yours and strung with identical strings. I've just tried it in Drop D with a Planet Waves capo and the bass strings sound absolutely fine. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5635
    @Haych I've got a J-35 with Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 12-53 strings, so a very similar guitar to yours and strung with identical strings. I've just tried it in Drop D with a Planet Waves capo and the bass strings sound absolutely fine. 
    The open D sounds fine, it's just the capo'd G at the 5th that sound a little bit wooly.  It's probably me being overly fussy.

I'll try some heavier strings and see if that changes anything.

Ta much for all the help, everyone.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1110
    edited January 14
    Elixir 16077
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Try playing the same piece with the capo at 4th fret and then again at the 6th fret? Is the 6th string still "wooly" sounding? You may have a low or worn 5th fret around the 6th string and the capo isn't able to make enough downward pressure on the string to fret that note properly?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Something you could also investigate with a metal straight edge?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Rosewood Martins with longer scales are really best for dropped tunings.

A J-45 will do it, but dont expect piano clarity.
    Is the neck straight enough? Some guitars with too much relief in the neck can sound more flubby in the lows.
    Another possibility is that your capo is worn?
    If the different capo made a perceivable improvement? I've a fancy capo that I can swap out the rubber piece in contact with the strings to match the radius of the fingerboard/frets. It's noticeable when I forget to swap it back between my Martin and my J45. ( The Martin has a flatter profile fingerboard.)
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I use 13-56s on my J45 (DR Dragon Skins) and I find they work brilliantly and really make the guitar sing. All my other guitars are on 12-53 or lower and I don't notice the extra tension too much on the J45.