NAD- Speaker upgrade ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    Thanks, Dave. I've been playing for a few hours and I think the speaker has also improved the clean channel, which is meant to have a black panel personality. But I must say that the differences with the stock speaker are only obvious once you turn the amp up... they do sound similar at low-ish volume.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, Dave. I've been playing for a few hours and I think the speaker has also improved the clean channel, which is meant to have a black panel personality. But I must say that the differences with the stock speaker are only obvious once you turn the amp up... they do sound similar at low-ish volume.
    What is the stock speaker, out of interest? Fender has used Eminences on occasion...
    edited March 3
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yorkie said:
    What is the stock speaker, out of interest? Fender has used Eminences on occasion...
    It doesn’t say, at least not obviously. 

It’s very light and discrete. Particularly next to Eminence’s magnet cover bombast:

The Eminence and its large bum are a relatively tight fit: 

Not obvious from the pictures, but there’s very little clearance between the speaker and the valves/transformer. 

And yes, it has made the amp louder. It also needs more volume to shine. 

More data I haven’t been able to find online: the cab is plywood reinforced with chipboard. 

Random fact: the amp was QCed on the week of my wedding! 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Yorkie I'm not well enough up on speakers to tell for sure... that basket looks maybe a little like an Eminence one, but I'm really not sure.

That's one problem with louder speakers... they're great if you need the extra volume, but they can actually work against you if you don't!

That's interesting about the cab material, and very interesting about the QC date!  =)
    I don’t really know. It’s extremely light and has zero information on provenance. 

Today I have taken it out of the box to see if I could spot any info and have noticed that the perimeter of the cone is very sticky. WTF? 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    Yorkie said:

Today I have taken it out of the box to see if I could spot any info and have noticed that the perimeter of the cone is very sticky. WTF? 
    That’s the doping on the edge surround, entirely normal. It’s used to control the plyability of the surround, which is a major factor in the tone of the speaker and where most of the break-in happens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting, thanks. I think some of the dust on the bubble wrap I used to protect the stock speaker is now on the surround :anguished: 

edited March 5
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:

That’s the doping on the edge surround, entirely normal. It’s used to control the plyability of the surround, which is a major factor in the tone of the speaker and where most of the break-in happens.
    Yep. And it sticks to other stuff. Like kitchen roll. 

Don't ask how I know that...  s

Yorkie said:
    Interesting, thanks. I think some of the dust on the bubble wrap I used to protect the stock speaker is now on the surround :anguished: 
    Yeah I used kitchen roll to keep the speakers off the floor... bad idea.  =)