Multiple input USB interfaces

What's Hot
Hi all, I wondered if anybody could recommend some good value multi input USB interfaces for recording. I currently use a Steinberg ur22c interface which has two inputs, and it's entirely adequate in terms of quality and function. However it doesn't allow me to record piano and singing at the same time, or say I manage to get to understand the guitar synth pedal at some point, I couldn't record that in stereo as well as dry guitar. Or I can't do acoustic recording with two inputs from the acoustic (i often use a pickup and a mic together). You get the picture.

I think therefore 4 inputs would be the minimum, to allow all of those plus some extra (for example if i wanted to record the guitar dry, with synth, and with me singing over the top.

Budget isn't great, and I probably wouldn't sell the Steinberg as a) I'd get nowt for it and b) I imagine it'll be useful still. Are the Behringer ones fine? they visually resemble the Steinberg ones but I suspect that's deliberate. I like the idea of leaving things plugged in to make it easier to strike when the mood takes me, but the only patch bay i have is a crap Behringer one which doesn't have XLR anyway so it's a bit moot. Maybe one day.

I've tried thinking of other ways to do it after having to record on two separate machines for my recent voice+piano cover challenge entry and hit the following obstacles:
  • Using a mixer only gives stereo out, so can't record say one stereo signal plus one or more mono signals
  • Using a desktop recorder seems unnecessary faff to co-ordinate with the DAW - playing along to back tracks when tracking, having to copy and paste files from the desktop recorder to the PC.
  • Trying to use ASIO4ALL to plug in various different interfaces at once, but I find Cubase is very annoying for setting that up every single time I load the DAW up so by that time I've normally lost the will to live

Thanks all

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited January 15

• Using a mixer only gives stereo out, so can't record say one stereo signal plus one or more mono signals

I can't really help with what interface to go for but the section of your post I've singled out above isn't strictly true.

Depending on the specific mixer, you can usually get extra discrete outputs other than the main stereo out. Some mixers will have a button to switch the routing of a particular input channel to either the main stereo buss or an alternate stereo buss (labelled ALT, 3-4 or something similar) thus giving to separate stereo outputs (or 4 mono with hard l-r panning).

In addition, any PRE-FADE auxialliary output (such as would be used in live work to send a monitor mix independent of the main faders) can be utilisede as a discrete mono output - simply keep the main channel fader at zero (so no output to the main stereo bus) and use the auxilliary send knob to control the output level to the auxilliary send.

Even affordable mixers such as Behringer can usually be configured to get 3 (stereo + aux) or more (eg. stereo, alt 3-4, 2 x aux for six outputs) discrete outputs (depending on specific model of course).

[edit] Here's an example from a while back (during covid lockdown) where I helped someone set up a mixer for multple discrete outputs for recording. It gets quite involved but illustrates what can be achieved with a fairly affordable mixer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9774
    I see what you mean but that kind of thing would require me to  buy a new mixer, a new recorder, and a new interface wouldn't it? Whereas just buying a single interface would only be one job?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Ah, I thought you already had a mixer of some sort. Personally, I'm old-school and would always be more comfortable using a mixer in front of any kind of interface.

Yes, you'll need a new interface for multiple inputs - I'm too much of a luddite to advise.
    I do have a mixer but although that could give several outputs, my interface only has two inputs, sorry I didn't explain very well
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1233
    whats the budget ? 
    https://focusrite.com/products/scarlett-4i4-refurbished?setCurrencyId=1&gad_source=1
    £120.
    If you plan on keeping it a long time, most wont support drivers eventually, apart from RME. A second hand RME UCX is circa 500 and i cant recommend them enough.
    Or consider ADAT equipped card with an additional expansion so you can plug in an expansion with 8 ins/ mic pres etc.
    Behringer are ok, but focusrite better imho. RME are off the charts good and well worth the investment.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I suppose that might do it, although no volume control on the inputs at the back? Might be fiddly but I suppose everything is in the world of recording. 

I prefer functionality to sound quality (within reason obviously) so if something at the price of the Focusrite does the job then something like the RDE is not going to be worth the extra for me with my level of things. Nobody but me and the cover/composition challenge ebtrabts ever hears my music so the level I have now is fine

Mentioning the drivers though,  do these work OK with Cubase? You'd think the Steinberg one I have would but I still have to set things up every single time I open the daw so I can't imagine this would be better in that regard
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9649
    I see what you mean but that kind of thing would require me to  buy a new mixer, a new recorder, and a new interface wouldn't it? Whereas just buying a single interface would only be one job?
    A Tascam Model 12 would do all these things. I got rid of my interface, mixer, and the iPad interface I was using a standalone/portable recorder. Great piece of kit.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1233
    edited January 15
    I suppose that might do it, although no volume control on the inputs at the back? Might be fiddly but I suppose everything is in the world of recording. 

I prefer functionality to sound quality (within reason obviously) so if something at the price of the Focusrite does the job then something like the RDE is not going to be worth the extra for me with my level of things. Nobody but me and the cover/composition challenge ebtrabts ever hears my music so the level I have now is fine

Mentioning the drivers though,  do these work OK with Cubase? You'd think the Steinberg one I have would but I still have to set things up every single time I open the daw so I can't imagine this would be better in that regard
    They will for now, but long term(5-10 yrs) , new windows/mac os etc. Its risky. But by sounds of things does your job. Volume/gain in software. Still no idea of budget, so pissing in the wind on advice really. This may also do a job for you if knobs are a thing.
    https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Behringer-U-Phoria-UMC404HD/art-PCM0013440-000

Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:

They will for now, but long term(5-10 yrs) , new windows/mac os etc. Its risky. But by sounds of things does your job. Volume/gain in software. Still no idea of budget, so pissing in the wind on advice really. This may also do a job for you if knobs are a thing.
    https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Behringer-U-Phoria-UMC404HD/art-PCM0013440-000

I'll look into it thanks, but not sure about having to use yet another piece of software just to set input levels, doesn't sound too promising.

A Tascam Model 12 would do all these things. I got rid of my interface, mixer, and the iPad interface I was using a standalone/portable recorder. Great piece of kit.
    Looks great but costs more than my computer did so I'd expect it to be!

Not to worry, I think I'll stick to using two machines for now unless something pops up cheaply

Thanks guys
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    I can heartily recommend the Komplete Audio 6 - two mic/instrument inputs on the front, two line inputs on the back, plus four line outs and stereo S/PDIF inputs and outputs. Not particularly expensive, either.
    <space for hire>
    Thanks Steamabacus, Thermionic, Swiller, and Digitalscream for the recommendations, links duly saved in my To Do List of things to get sorted and will be considered in the fullness of time :)
  • I have an Audient id44 that i’m looking to sell which will cater for your needs. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2972
    I can heartily recommend the Komplete Audio 6 - two mic/instrument inputs on the front, two line inputs on the back, plus four line outs and stereo S/PDIF inputs and outputs. Not particularly expensive, either.
    This. I use one and it's great. NI are software developers and their drivers are really good. The only limitation is that inputs 3&4 can't be direct monitored (1&2 can), but if you are monitoring via DAW not an issue.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Check out the Audient Evo range, I replaced my Audient ID model and haven’t noticed any discernible difference with sound quality, and the auto gain is a massive time saver :-) 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3678
    edited January 17
    I have a mixer that is also a multichannel interface - this is the smaller version. Each channel + stereo via USB. https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/signature-12-mtk

Can support so many ways of working, but with a DAW connected via USB you simply get the inputs with none of the channel FX.

It means I can leave stuff plugged in and instantly practice stuff too with multiple sources without having to fire up a PC/DAW.

Maybe review it all as an in the round investment and get something like the newer Tascam 12, Zoom, Soundcraft multi way interface mixer.

That said, I have a little presonus interface for another little project setup and they do one with 4 inputs.  

Thanks chaps, I think the nice fancy mixers and the Audient ID would be out of my budget and ability level, but the Evo8 looks to be not much more than the already suggested Focusrite and and Komplete ones so i'll add that to the consideration list! Thanks all
    Warning, stupid idiot question incoming

With the mixer / interface approach, does plugging in a guitar to the mixer still work the same way in modelling software as it would direct into a normal interface? I'm thinking the output of my analog mixer would not be the same level or impedance etc as the guitar going straight in, but I don't know if i'm talking out of my arse and that it doesn't really matter?

I suspect i am talking out my arse as I'm sure I've used a DI box with xlr before in attempt to keep noise level down
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3678
    edited January 19
    Warning, stupid idiot question incoming

With the mixer / interface approach, does plugging in a guitar to the mixer still work the same way in modelling software as it would direct into a normal interface? I'm thinking the output of my analog mixer would not be the same level or impedance etc as the guitar going straight in, but I don't know if i'm talking out of my arse and that it doesn't really matter?

I suspect i am talking out my arse as I'm sure I've used a DI box with xlr before in attempt to keep noise level down
    I do it all the time, it is essentially the same USB audio interface,.. basically it send as digital just after the input gain.  The mixer also has HiZ and phantom. I will often use a DI box to input bass to the mixer.

Just way more options and none of the limits.  
    I've been doing some reading and research with all the above in mind (thank you all), but have also been researching a portable recording device for my piano playing side hustle job. I received some audio files recently from a videographer who had recorded me direct to a Zoom portable recording device and it sounded so nice.

I am going to buy one of those so I can give my couples some recordings after their big day, and also for my social media purposes as well as to hear myself play and hopefully improve as a result.

I notice that the Zoom h6 is not only a multitrack recorder, but it also functions as a 6-in 2-out usb interface, admittedly two of those are the built in mics but I could at a later date get the plug in adapter which adds two more xlr inputs, or just use the two built in mics for some ambience for recording acoustic guitar etc. 

I was looking at the Zoom H4n but as the H6 is only £20 and solves this other need of mine, it seems a good idea doesn't it?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    In my experience, the Zoom stuff is great, and if you ever come across an R16 at around £150, worth its weight in gold.
    If you are only occasionally needing the extra tracks, and don't want to spend anything, why not add in a count to your original recording, export it as a guide, and use something like a phone to play back while recording new stuff, which will then need aligning, but will be pretty close if you have a click to sync to.
    Ballache, I know, but costs nothing but a little time.