Beginner Harmonica Courses

What's Hot
Afternoon all - I realise this is probably a fairly niche request, but does anyone have any recommendations for online beginners harmonica courses? 
"Filthy appalachian goblin."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    Hard to go past Tomlin Leckie I reckon. It’s on my very long to-do list 

https://www.tomlinharmonicaschool.com/

https://www.youtube.com/@TomlinHarmonica
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Lee Sankey has a lot of detailed tutorial stuff up on YouTube. One of the best harmonica players in the UK. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 367
    Awesome, thanks chaps - I'll check both of them out. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    I just bought a blues harmonica. 
    I just bought a blues harmonica. 
    I just got a Marine Band 1896 in C (and a couple of other keys). What did you get? 
  • Hard to go past Tomlin Leckie I reckon. It’s on my very long to-do list 

https://www.tomlinharmonicaschool.com/

https://www.youtube.com/@TomlinHarmonica
    Tomlin is great. I had in person lessons from him a few years ago- he lives not far from me. 
    Other good resources are Adam Gussow's youtube channel (Tomlin used this to supplement his teaching before creating his own content). 
    There's a good "introduction to blues harmonica" course on Truefire too. 

The things I found most useful were getting the hang of the second position blues scale and then improvising over jamtracks on youtube in whatever key I was playing in. 

I've not played harmonica in a while- it's quite loud and I live in a flat & have young kids, but the portability of the instrument is great & I love the sound it makes when played well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I've played blues harmonica for many years.
    It all started when I was playing guitar in a band called the Jukes in the late 80s with a frontman/Harmonica Player called Pete Hogman: he was a member of the beat group Jimmy Powell & the Five Dimensions in the 60s and recorded with Chuck Berry on the "In London" session 1965. His biggest claim to fame was that he was the harmonica player on Millie's  hit My Boy Lollipop in 1964, though for many years it was thought to be rock star Rod Stewart, who was also briefly with Jimmy Powell.
    Anyway, Pete was a master of Chicago 'electric' harmonica with a Green Bullet mic and an early Mesa Boogie combo for amplification. And playing behind him I listened hard ... then after I left the Jukes and moved to London I literally bought a half dozen of the important key harmonicas and with a couple of weeks woodshedding, started sitting in with local bands and at jam sessions.  That is the way to learn, playing with other musicians. 
    Biggest tip ... know when to shut up and not overplay: rhythm harmonica is not really a thing!  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Biggest tip ... know when to shut up and not overplay: rhythm harmonica is not really a thing!  
    This is good advice. Thanks. 
    tFB Trader
    mo6020 said:

This is good advice. Thanks. 
    Listen to sax players and trumpeters, that's what the harp was originally a cheap substitute for - and collect microphones. The Green Bullet  doesn't have a particularly good 'capsule' and you can find better ones from the US ... look up harp mics (It's an art in itself). 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    It all started when I was playing guitar in a band called the Jukes in the late 80s with a frontman/Harmonica Player called Pete Hogman: he was a member of the beat group Jimmy Powell & the Five Dimensions in the 60s and recorded with Chuck Berry on the "In London" session 1965. His biggest claim to fame was that he was the harmonica player on Millie's  hit My Boy Lollipop in 1964, though for many years it was thought to be rock star Rod Stewart, who was also briefly with Jimmy Powell.
    Anyway, Pete was a master of Chicago 'electric' harmonica with a Green Bullet mic and an early Mesa Boogie combo for amplification. And playing behind him I listened hard ... then after I left the Jukes and moved to London I literally bought a half dozen of the important key harmonicas and with a couple of weeks woodshedding, started sitting in with local bands and at jam sessions.  That is the way to learn, playing with other musicians. 
    Cripes small world, I worked with and became friendly with Pete Hogman when he worked as a Craft Instructor at Parkhurst Prison in the late 80’s. A proper gent and Master of the Blues Harp. lost touch when we moved to Cambs, sadly be died a while back…..often saw Hoggie and the Jukes/Hoggie and the Sharptones around the IOW, his lovely wife Jilly singing…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited February 8 tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Cripes small world, I worked with and became friendly with Pete Hogman when he worked as a Craft Instructor at Parkhurst Prison in the late 80’s. A proper gent and Master of the Blues Harp. lost touch when we moved to Cambs, sadly be died a while back…..often saw Hoggie and the Jukes/Hoggie and the Sharptones around the IOW, his lovely wife Jilly singing…
    Yay ... I used to alternate with Dick Tailor 

On guitar ... when he was off with the Pretty Things I often took over. 
    Jill was such a sweetie ... and all of us who worked with Hoggie were a bit in love with her. Yep, Hoggie left us in 2017 after long battles with a dodgy ticker ... Pete taught me how to be a professional musician ,,, simple as that. 

John 'Pete' Hogman in his younger days