Connect microphone to instrument input on interface

What's Hot
I suspect the answer is no, or that I’ll need so many extra pieces of kit that it will be better to buy a new interface. 

I have a Scarlet Solo that has one microphone and one instrument input.  Can I connect a microphone to the instrument input?  From what I’ve Googled I’ll need a source of phantom power, a preamp and something to match the expected impedance. 

Or have I missed something?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    You can connect a dynamic mic to an instrument input. You would need a female XLR to mono jack plug mic cable ... whether you would have enough gain though depends on the mic and how loud the source is. 

A condenser mic though would need phantom power 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1233
    No you cant.
    Maudio have great interfaces to do that job cheap. 
    £45
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/m-audio-m-track-duo-audio-interface/940433?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    What kind of mic and what you recording? 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Kurtis said:
    Condenser to record acoustic guitar 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    drofluf said:
    Kurtis said:
    Condenser to record acoustic guitar 
    If it needs phantom power I don't think it will work. 

You do get mics with jack connections, I have one or two, that take batteries. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9648
    What am I missing if I suggest connecting the microphone to the microphone input?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    What am I missing if I suggest connecting the microphone to the microphone input?
    That he’s probably trying to record the acoustic with two mics, so the mic input is already being used.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    That he’s probably trying to record the acoustic with two mics, so the mic input is already being used.
    Exactly that - apologies my first post was unclear, I didn’t quite write what I’d planned in my head. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9648
    Ah, right. This is why 2 in/2 out interfaces are a popular choice!
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Yeah, even if you could plug a mic into the instrument input, I think the Solo will only record one thing at a time.
    Yeah, even if you could plug a mic into the instrument input, I think the Solo will only record one thing at a time.
    Not sure that's correct: I wanted to to compare the pickup in my acoustic with my microphone so I used a cable into the instrument interface and the mic into the XLR and saw 2 tracks in Audacity.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    You can record both inputs to seperate tracks, just create 2 mono tracks rather than a stereo track. Almost all audio interfaces will generally be 2 in's as all AD convertors are dual, intended for stereo use in the larger non muso audio market. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    drofluf said:
    Not sure that's correct: I wanted to to compare the pickup in my acoustic with my microphone so I used a cable into the instrument interface and the mic into the XLR and saw 2 tracks in Audacity.
    Aha, cool, I stand corrected!

One option might be to get a separate preamp that would output a line level signal and provide phantom power, but I suspect the cost would be similar to or higher than a new interface tbh.
    Thanks for all the input; on reflection my efforts would be better spent getting the best out my existing setup before I complicate with a second microphone. What I'll probably do is start a thread asking about whether I should get another AKG170 to work with my current one or something to better complement it