Recommend me a rugged iPad case and a mic stand holder?

TrudeTrude Frets: 914
Hi folks

I've just picked up a used iPad Air 3 that I'll need to hang off my mic stand at gigs. It's bigger than my previous iPad and probably won't fit my current holder. I'd also like to properly gig-proof it with a heavy duty case, so I'm not sure which holder would be able to handle the thickness.

Any suggestions for either or both of these bits?
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited January 16
    I am on my 2nd iPad and it is a different size to my first. I had an excellent K&M tablet holder for the first iPad so I bought an adjustable one - this one - for my 2nd iPad and have been using it now for 7 years. I know I am stating the obvious but it is worth checking that your iPad Air 3's size fits within the range that any tablet holder you look at.

Sorry but I cannot help with a tough travel case.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    +1 for K&M kit. It's always excellent stuff and they do lots of different options. Just make sure you get one that'll fit your iPad and whatever you want to attach it to. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited January 16
    Hercules:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-DG307B-iPad-Holder-Black/dp/B0936P1MNB

£40

Fits thicker cases better than the older Hercules model and any of the others I’ve struggled with over the years.

Design means the holder can grip either the short sides or the long sides and is very versatile for positioning. Construction is very reassuring.

+1 to checking dimensions, feel free to measure and ask back here.

I use this iPad case, it’s a generic but good design but works well. The plastic is a bit harder than previous ones I’ve owned which were more “gummy” but I have a fair amount of confidence and harder plastic means slightly thinner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPad-7th-10-2-2019-SAYMAC-Black/dp/B07YZB4HR3/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1ATEJLK54TROC&keywords=ipad+tough+case&qid=1705405781&sprefix=ipad+tough+case%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Obviously by iPad model is different to yours but someone on Amazon will be selling the one for yours.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!

The K&M looks good, but the boom arm of the Hercules may put it ahead, as I have my mic stand off to one side normally. I think it does make sense to spend decent money on this so I’ll give that a go!

Trading feedback here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Trude said:
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!

The K&M looks good, but the boom arm of the Hercules may put it ahead, as I have my mic stand off to one side normally. I think it does make sense to spend decent money on this so I’ll give that a go!
    K&M do one with an arm as well. I just got one. Haven’t used it yet! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 226
    Don't forget to get a glass screen protector too
    Jono111 said:
    Don't forget to get a glass screen protector too
    Deffo! In fact some of the rugged cases incorporate a removable screen protector too.

Trading feedback here
  • Hercules:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-DG307B-iPad-Holder-Black/dp/B0936P1MNB

£40

Fits thicker cases better than the older Hercules model and any of the others I’ve struggled with over the years.

Design means the holder can grip either the short sides or the long sides and is very versatile for positioning. Construction is very reassuring.

+1 to checking dimensions, feel free to measure and ask back here.

I use this iPad case, it’s a generic but good design but works well. The plastic is a bit harder than previous ones I’ve owned which were more “gummy” but I have a fair amount of confidence and harder plastic means slightly thinner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPad-7th-10-2-2019-SAYMAC-Black/dp/B07YZB4HR3/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1ATEJLK54TROC&keywords=ipad+tough+case&qid=1705405781&sprefix=ipad+tough+case%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Obviously by iPad model is different to yours but someone on Amazon will be selling the one for yours.
    Quick question about this one is there any protection for the screen? My urban armour case has been great but now falling apart after 5 years , but can’t get a replacement as they don’t cover older iPad airs any more, and in my head the screen needs covering when not in use
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    …is there any protection for the screen?
    There is protection in the sense that the “frame” around the screen keeps the glass off the floor but no actual “screen protector”, however, on my older iPad case which does have a built in screen protector there's a small gap between 
    glass and plastic screen, which is annoying.

Much better to fit a third party screen protector which makes direct contact and doesn’t distract.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    This is the case I've been using to mix gigs for a year, good for the money and the iPad is well protected all round. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0881NB92C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1c
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    This is the case I've been using to mix gigs for a year, good for the money and the iPad is well protected all round. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0881NB92C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1c
    That’s the exact one I’ve just bought! Seems ideal so far  :)

Trading feedback here
    Yup - assuming that’s made of the same material then it’s the same one I was talking about - at £15 cheaper!

May just buy a spare at that price.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    edited January 23
    Danny1969 said:

Won’t fit my iPad Air2 9.7”bugger
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Trude said:
    Danny1969 said:

That’s the exact one I’ve just bought! Seems ideal so far  :)
    I spoke too soon!

The problem with this design is it's virtually impossible to do swipe gestures in from the edge, which is how I like to get my song list up in OnSong, as well as accessing music playback controls for breaks. At my gig last night I kept swiping to the previous song instead. I think I'm going to have to go to a flip type case with screen protector so I can do those edge swipes more easily.
    I also found that Bluetooth streaming to my PA was glitchy, though I can't say whether that was in any way related to the case - seems unlikely but I'll see what happens without it.

The Hercules holder was great though!

Trading feedback here
  • Up date! Bought an old stock  Otterbox from eBay for a tenner! , just as good as my UAG cover , the back is transparent plastic so whole thing is protected 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125773350991
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Good call.

Thanks for the update, may be useful.