Thinking of trying something with nylon strings, or maybe flats on an archtop - but what?

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
edited January 16 in Acoustics
Been wanting to try a nylon stringed guitar for ages but have no experience at all. 

I’m not going to be playing flamenco, or classical tbh. More Jazz/Folk/American I suppose. 

Latest Jeffrey Martin album seems to have a fair bit of Nylon strings going on as a reference (correct me if I’m wrong)

I see Lowden do one, but hard to judge from reviews by classical players thinking they sound shite. 

Maybe it’s more a flats on an archtop I should try? 

Any advice? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Dunno about flats on an archtop but flats on a flattop are pretty bloody awesome. Flip over to Lord Of the Strings in the Netherlands and get yourself a set of Gallii flats - https://lordofthestrings.com/en/guitar/acoustic/6-string/galli-ajf1252-bronze-80-20-flat-wound-medium-light.html These are just a different world. I love them! 

I tried them on my Huon Pine Cole Clark Angel (superb!) and my spruce and rosewood Maton Messiah (OK, but not great) so it depends a bit on the guitar you put them on. But real flats are a different world for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Tannin said:
    Dunno about flats on an archtop but flats on a flattop are pretty bloody awesome. Flip over to Lord Of the Strings in the Netherlands and get yourself a set of Gallii flats - https://lordofthestrings.com/en/guitar/acoustic/6-string/galli-ajf1252-bronze-80-20-flat-wound-medium-light.html These are just a different world. I love them! 

I tried them on my Huon Pine Cole Clark Angel (superb!) and my spruce and rosewood Maton Messiah (OK, but not great) so it depends a bit on the guitar you put them on. But real flats are a different world for sure. 
    Honestly had no idea you could get acoustic flats!? That’s another rabbit hole haha. Thanks for the info
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 783
    I'm sure the Lowden nylon string would sound heavenly, but the price would be out of this world, too!

The challenge, at least for me with nylon strings, is finding a good-sounding and playing one at a reasonable price. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    As regards nylon strung, I bought an Ibanez GA6CE-AM to scratch an itch. Not much more than a fancy pedal, and it got rave reviews online. I took a chance and it’s everything I expected, very pleased. I’m not a classical guitarist and no intent to be, but I’m inspired to play differently on this thing. The bonus is that it plugs in and sounds pretty good, fantastic when you consider the price.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    would nylons be too low tension on an arch-top ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    would nylons be too low tension on an arch-top ?
    Sorry, I meant a normal flat top nylon string guitar vs a arch top with flats
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    When I was looking a couple of years ago, Cordoba had ‘crossover’ versions of their models that had a smaller nut and neck. I think the C9 was an all solid model available in a crossover model. They’re not crazy money but depreciate massively like most acoustics so if you can find one on the used market then all the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TDubs said:
    When I was looking a couple of years ago, Cordoba had ‘crossover’ versions of their models that had a smaller nut and neck. I think the C9 was an all solid model available in a crossover model. They’re not crazy money but depreciate massively like most acoustics so if you can find one on the used market then all the better.
    Many thanks. I’ll check those out
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Cordoba C10 - if it’s good enough for David Gilmour…
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Sorry, there was supposed to be a link there but it won’t work on my phone. See the video to “Yes I have ghosts” if you want to see him playing one.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    I wholeheartedly recommend a nice archtop and lovely big ol flats.  Good for any clean tone not just jazz. 
    joeW said:
    I wholeheartedly recommend a nice archtop and lovely big ol flats.  Good for any clean tone not just jazz. 
    Are they reasonably loud acoustically? I had a Waterloo AT for a while that was lovely and loud enough, but never tried flats on it.