JHS Twin Twelve

What's Hot
SpaceaceukSpaceaceuk Frets: 18
Does anybody have any experience with the JHS Twin Twelve, heard its good for a Jack White / Queens of the stone age dirty overdrive sound based on a silvertone 1484 pre amp. Are they any good? any decent alternatives? Cheers in advance Joe
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Not tried one but there’s also the Jackson Audio Twin Twelve
  • I have a mate who plays professionally who keeps buying them when they come up. It’s his main drive sound and has back ups for his back ups. I like this kind of sound anyway, so I’ve always thought they sounded cool but also I very much trust his taste too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I picked one up recently, a V2.  I was quite shocked by how much I like it.  It has a lovely "feel" to it which I like - it reminded me of the Benson Preamp to be honest.  I don't know if that's the Jfet thing or not.

The only quirky thing - and it's very much dependant on your setup, though I've read this in other places - is that the tone controls need to be placed in extreme settings.  E.g. I have the bass control nearly off, and the treble turned up just past 3 o'Clock.  Things at 12 make it really woofy, but maybe that's just like the old Silvertone amps?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I've had a couple and they do sound nice into a clean amp, not sure if the Jackson Audio one is any better or just different (that's more of a preamp I think whereas the JHS is more like an amp flavoured overdrive?).

You have to set the knobs with what your ears tell you sounds right and not what looks right - they are quite woolly woofy amps in general I think so in that respect it's accurate, but you can get clearer sounds from it. 

Bear in mind that Jack White always uses it alongside a Twin reverb (or other Fender amp) so his sound is not necessarily the Silvertone sound by itself, but rather it's half of the blend. 

If you seek out the Third Man Double Down pedal demo video on Youtube with him playing through it, you'll hear what each of the two amps is doing when they show the two outputs of that pedal separately (best with headphones!). 

But it certainly has that kind of vibe to it and very usable pedal.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom