Swap P90s for Mini Humbuckers, What do I need to do?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
edited January 17 in Making & Modding
It's a non LP style guitar so assume I don't need the curved mounts for starters. Do I just get mini humbuckers mounted to the pickguard? The body is routed for P90s. I might switch pickguard colours so will get a new one cut.
Do I need to get a certain style/spec mini humbucker for this type of body?
Pickguard
Here's the body

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Interested to see replies as Im wanting to do the same..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 991
    Fitted two mini hums tp a strat, simply bought a scratchplate cut for it.  Not sure you've the same option here.

Mini hums are smaller than P90s, so in many guitars they come with a mounting ring, readily available from usual suppliers. that'll fit in the cavity in a similar manner to the P90s.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Fitted two mini hums tp a strat, simply bought a scratchplate cut for it.  Not sure you've the same option here.

Mini hums are smaller than P90s, so in many guitars they come with a mounting ring, readily available from usual suppliers. that'll fit in the cavity in a similar manner to the P90s.
    ok, so most likely the mounting rings, worse case scenarion, I could sell the mounting rings if not needed.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16677

get these rings with corner holes
    https://www.vansonguitars.com/collections/mounting-rings/products/p90-sized-mini-humbucker-mounting-ring-in-black-or-cream-ivory

This version mount directly to the body, then the mini-hum can be treated like a normal humbucker mounted to the ring with screws and springs

Alternatively mount to a plate, but those rings are your easiest option and will look pretty good against the existing plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Thanks @WezV . I have no problem getting the body modded either, as it's a partscaster at the end of the day!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    edited January 17
    On a flat fronted guitar with a pickguard, simply suspend the pickups through the plastic. 

Fitted two mini hums to a strat, simply bought a scratchplate cut for it. 
    This. 

To avoid any confusion, ask a custom pickguard maker to make cut-outs for Firebird pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.