Eventide Space, TimeFactor, etc - still good?

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
Are these still worth a punt, or have others superceded them since? Tonally they seem to cover a lot of ground still, but I’ve never gotten my hands on one to try out.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I have the Timefactor delay. I was going to sell it, but decided to keep it. It looks like you need an external footswitch and/or expression pedal to really take advantage of it. You could combine this with some other quirky delay type and have a good delay setup.
    I had the Blackhole pedal for a while which was really good, but I sold it, before fully taking advantage of it.
    However for the price, it might be hard to look beyond the HX Effects or TC Plethora.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    edited January 17
    I really like the Timefactor and have used them since 2008-ish. I don’t use it often because I’m not using big delays as my band is too big for that to be a useful sound, but I still have my TF

I agree a 2-button aux is virtually essential for live use unless you only want to use 2 presets. 

But the sounds are still great. The main complaint I see online is a lack of analog dry thru but honestly I’ve never cared about that level of tonal fuss. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 121
    I've had a Timefactor on my board constantly since 2007 and a Space since 2011. They cover a lot of ground, especially Space, and both sound great to me still.
    Space has a tonne of sounds. Possibly more than you’ll ever need !
    Just to add. I downloaded the H9 app which really speeds up creating presets and saving them to your pedal. I also added a GFI triple switch for tap tempo. repeat on, and bank down. Really makes the pedal easier to use. I’ll add an expression pedal as well one of the days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    I can't fully remember, but I looked at these in comparison to the strymon trifecta.

I seem to remember that

• The eventide pedals have unusual power requirements (not terrible)
    • They have more control on the front panel
    • The delays are all able to run dual delays whereas the timeline only has one dual 'algorithm'

I have never owned one, but unless you have found a bargain and you are strapped for cash I think that there are easier/more modern alternatives out there now. As someone mentioned you can do a hell of a lot with an HX effects for example.

At the time I plumped for the strymon versions and wasn't disappointed - however, nowadays I think that the strymons have been beaten by other manufacturers. 

In the end it all depends on what you are looking for.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    @allen  Thanks, that sums up my thoughts on them too.

Tbh, I'm not even sure what I want from a pedalboard currently - I'm only really using a tuner, one or two drives/fuzzes, but have an empty 'space' for a reverb pedal as my amp is otherwise very dry. Still, there's no rush at all - I just know that I prefer having physical controls over menus, and apart from a mix/dwell control would likely leave most things untouched the majority of the time once I've found my core tone from it.  The HX FX is an outlier, as I know I like their units and interface, but it's still overkill for what I'd need and I (think I) prefer to have dedicated pedals rather than multis of any kind.