SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Western Red Cedar Jazzmaster body (1.2 kg!), Maple Jazzmaster neck

rexterrexter Frets: 369
edited January 19 in Parts £ tFB Trader
Here's a project I don't have time to finish anymore. Could be fun for somebody who wants a SUPER lightweight guitar.

It's a Jazzmaster style body handmade to my template from a 1962 body I restored a few years back.

Obvious deviation from this is that it has a flat top with three ply binding. Same deep tummy cut on the back.

The good = it weighs approx 1.2-1.3kg. Insanely light. 
Pretty grain from well seasoned (4 years) Western Red Cedar.
Fits all USA spec parts and necks.

The bad - a repaired patch on the back of the body and one knot under where the neck plate will be.
A portion of the binding on the treble side just before neck pocket has snapped off somehow in the past week. Probably when I hung it up after staining it yellow. 

Tiny filled spot on side of neck pocket, but pocket is a great fit for Fender spec necks.

Will include a whole length of the same binding so you can repair this. Easy enough.

The yellow - not sure if this is a good or a bad tbh. It's had one coat of pigment based yellow applied as I was going to shoot a quick sunburst on it and this is how I start them for a mid-late 60s style.

You could spray a coat or two of sealer/clear on this and then burst away.

Or it will sand off very easily. You choose

£95 shipped (UK)

Next, a great UK-made neck I was maybe going to pair with this body.

It was made by Guitarbuild a few years back and has been on my shelf awaiting me to do something with it.

I cut the headstock to a Jazzmaster shape recently and it has a nice hand-carved transition to the headstock now. 

Great chunky profile - almost like a fat V-C and  believe it's also a compound radius board. I think they call it their 'vintage' profile. To me it feels like a mid 60s fender C with a fair bit of extra chunk.

Seem like medium frets on there.

It will need a fret polish and a final sand at minimum. I always level, crown and polish frets on new necks after finishing them (especially maple fretboards) so I was not concerened about some scratches and nicks to the frets from storage and sanding.

So yeah - great neck, but definitely best with a fret level and dress. This always gives you a better playing guitar anyway  

£140 shipped (UK)

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
www.rexterguitars.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Body is sold, neck stil available!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Super nerdy ask but do you have a depth measurement at the 1st fret ?
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Super nerdy ask but do you have a depth measurement at the 1st fret ?
    Not at all nerdy! I don't have one taken already and I'm about to head off for a day or two so can't check until Tuesday morning probably.

It's chunky - approx 24/25mm at the 12th fret and from memory the first fret isn't that much shallower. But it's a V shape so quite manageable. It's a profile I really like, but some people prefer more of a taper.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 819
    DM'd
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited January 21
    andy_k said:
    DM'd
    Looks like I lost out to the other chunky neck partscaster guy round here !
    I will no doubt lust after whatever you make with it !
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 819
    @DrBobSorry Rob, I narrowly missed out on the fat Broadcaster neck last week, and my Finck V2 just isn't happy with a skinny neck.
    Finck V1 is doing well with your old Banger though, and Graham's woodwork, V2 just needed a fatty, had to pounce on this.