Mesa Studio 22

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    A question for anyone using these amps in a band. So you have 2 channels clean and dirty...how are you boosting the dirty channel for solos? I've tried every which way and I can't find a way to boost the volume on the dirty channel as it is so compressed.

Answer on a postcard please.
    The Lead channel *is* for solos :). I seem to remember it had a huge volume boost, actually too much unless you were very careful with the settings.

The volume boost going to Lead on the non + version is way too much to be useable live in my experience.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    NelsonP said:
    A question for anyone using these amps in a band. So you have 2 channels clean and dirty...how are you boosting the dirty channel for solos? I've tried every which way and I can't find a way to boost the volume on the dirty channel as it is so compressed.

Setting the GEQ sliders higher and switching it in worked when I had a Mark III.
    You can’t do that mid song on the Studio amps. The graphic is either on, off or Auto which makes it come on when you switch from Rhythm to Lead.  
    Didn’t realise that.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    edited January 20
    ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:

The Lead channel *is* for solos . I seem to remember it had a huge volume boost, actually too much unless you were very careful with the settings.

The volume boost going to Lead on the non + version is way too much to be useable live in my experience.  
    Later models had a lead master on the front which solved that problem. The switchable eq auto function can be used to help too.

But it's so compressed in the lead mode that even putting an eq in the loop won't work. You just can't get any more volume, even by pushing the mids.

I'm going to try using an ehx signal pad in the loop. It's basically just a switchable volume pot in a box. Maybe I can have it take a little volume off for rhythm playing and then switch it off as a solo boost. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    NelsonP said:
    <snip>

I'm going to try using an ehx signal pad in the loop. It's basically just a switchable volume pot in a box. Maybe I can have it take a little volume off for rhythm playing and then switch it off as a solo boost. 
    If that doesn't work, an EQ pedal with some tonal changes AND a drop in dB might be worth trying, perhaps?
    So, after quite a bit of experimentation the best way to do this is to put an ehx signal pad or similar as the last pedal I'm the loop and use it as and underboost.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    NelsonP said:
    So, after quite a bit of experimentation the best way to do this is to put an ehx signal pad or similar as the last pedal I'm the loop and use it as and underboost.
    Sorry, meant to respond to the solo boost thing which I struggled with too, it was either running the GEQ as an underboost ( running everything way below the middle line) or indeed a pedal of some sort in the loop to drop the output signal and then turn that off to bring the amp back to full chat for solo’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    NelsonP said:
    Sorry, meant to respond to the solo boost thing which I struggled with too, it was either running the GEQ as an underboost ( running everything way below the middle line) or indeed a pedal of some sort in the loop to drop the output signal and then turn that off to bring the amp back to full chat for solo’s. 
    Thank you @welshboyo ;

Thanks also to @ICBM and @Danny1969 who suggested the same thing. Really helpful. Love this place!