Premium wiring kit for Japanese Strat?

What's Hot
OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
edited January 20 in Making & Modding
I have a Japanese Fender Strat from the early 00's. I've heard over the years comments that the electrics in Japanese Fender guitars are bad. Most recently from a guest on That Pedal Show. What exactly does that mean?

In the last 20 years I've had no issues, only the occasional scratchy pot which is easily resolved. Are they saying that poor electronics affect the tone in a negative way? Or that the volume and tone pots don't perform as well.

I ask because I have to take the guitar into a tech. Tried to swap out the pickups and made a right balls! Likely cooked it. If this is an upgrade worth doing I may consider it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7775
    The pickups are quite bland and a bit thin but marginally better than the old American Standard pickups. Pots and switches are better than Chinese or Indonesian fenders
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    Well I'm not referring to the pickups specifically. More so the wiring, pots, switches. How are they better than China or Indonesia, but lesser than USA? 
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 314
    They're absolutely fine by any quantifiable, rational measure.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    edited January 19
    Some MIJ Fender guitars dare to use thin, plastic-insulated conductor wire rather than the thicker, pull-back cloth type associated with vintage MIA instruments. A few use PCB selector switches with eight-in-line terminals.

Some customers get terribly worked up about this.

As has already been stated, the pickups tend to be a bit bland. Some commentators blame the magnet material. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 20
    In hindsight I think I may have nuked my volume pot when trying to remove some old solder anguished 

Can anyone recommend a quality strat wiring kit? (pots, selector switch, wiring etc. Innards!). It's a 'never sell' guitar as sentimental value, so I don't mind spending more for quality.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    My main guitar is a 1986 Fender Japanese Strat and it has performed faultlessly through the years.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Octavio said:
    In hindsight I think I may have nuked my volume pot when trying to remove some old solder anguished 

Can anyone recommend a quality strat wiring kit? (pots, selector switch, wiring etc. Innards!). It's a 'never sell' guitar as sentimental value, so I don't mind spending more for quality.
    Have a look at six sting supplies, good quality and quick delivery

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/collections/prewired-harnesses?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-o6R_OHrgwMVBJhQBh1x0A6gEAAYASAAEgKaT_D_BwE

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    Octavio said:

Have a look at six sting supplies, good quality and quick delivery

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/collections/prewired-harnesses?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-o6R_OHrgwMVBJhQBh1x0A6gEAAYASAAEgKaT_D_BwE

That 10-way switch looks very interesting.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72444
    Remember that if you want to keep your original pickguard and don't want to ream out the pot holes to 3/8", you need 8mm pots - pretty much all far-east ones (including Alphas) are this size, although a couple of the US makers do them as well now.

A CRL switch will be an upgrade over the original even if the original is an open-frame type (DM-50 or similar) - they're more reliable in the long term, and feel more positive in use. If the original switch is a box type, replace it anyway.

Possibly the best upgrade you can do is to replace the jack with a Switchcraft - obviously it doesn't affect the tone, but they're much more reliable and secure. While you're at it, replace the cable from the jack to the volume pot with a shielded cable, which noticeably reduces noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all. I certainly can't be bothered with increasing the pot hole size. Maybe 10 options is overkill.

The hunt continues for a quality wiring harness.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 965
    @Octavio I've also used SixStringSupplies before for this type of thing and found them very good, easy to contact and good quality stuff. I'm sure there are others as well.