Replacing Ox Box with Ox Stomp and Separate Attenuator

slawlerslawler Frets: 35
I have had an Ox Box for around a year now and really like it for recording and silent practice with headphones / lowered volume practice with the attenuator.

i have recently upgraded my main amp to a Two Rock and considering whether a better attenuator will be beneficial for lower volume, like the Fryette PS100 which does not have the stepped attenuator options like the Ox Box and is generally regarded as much better quality.

To do this, I have been looking at getting the Fryette PS100 for the attenuator and the Ox Stomp pedal to replace the cab options on the Ox Box.

Apart from not having a headphone port for silent playing (which I can use my computer for) would this be a good upgrade?

Appreciate any advice for anyone who has done the switch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    Interested to hear if anyone has done this…
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 49
    Haven’t replaced an Ox Box but initially used a Fryette PS-2A into my interface, then PS into the Ox stomp which I really like. I think the attenuator on the PS is excellent. The fan noise bothers me a little but for silent play/recording it doesn’t need to be switched on - the line out still works and the amp still sees the required load. 

The ox stomp app is… fine. It’s good that it doesn’t exhibit any skeuomorphism in its design but I do find adjusting things through my phone a bit annoying. However, I’ve set up some cabs that I like in the preset slots and generally use the plugins on the computer for the delay and reverb so I can alter at a later time if required.  
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    edited February 12
    guitaraj said:
    Haven’t replaced an Ox Box but initially used a Fryette PS-2A into my interface, then PS into the Ox stomp which I really like. I think the attenuator on the PS is excellent. The fan noise bothers me a little but for silent play/recording it doesn’t need to be switched on - the line out still works and the amp still sees the required load. 

The ox stomp app is… fine. It’s good that it doesn’t exhibit any skeuomorphism in its design but I do find adjusting things through my phone a bit annoying. However, I’ve set up some cabs that I like in the preset slots and generally use the plugins on the computer for the delay and reverb so I can alter at a later time if required.  
    Great thanks.

So there is benefit in replacing an Ox Bic with a seperate load box (ie Freytte Powerstation) and Ox Stomp of purely for better attenuation?

No loss of quality or features by doing this? 

I suppose the only loss would be having to have the computer turned on to play through headphones, unlike the Ox box which has a headphone input.
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 49
    I've had limited time with the Ox Box itself. I remember the recorded output being excellent and the attenuated speaker volume at lowest levels missing something (even allowing for fletcher-munson and all that). As a separate solution I'm happy with both options but as I said sometimes the fan noise is annoying when I'm playing a really low levels. 

In terms of options yes you would lose that functionality with the headphones. There is a line in on the PS-2A, but I think it's one input or the other.