James Tyler Studio Elite HD

What's Hot
Hi! Is there anyone who has any experience with James Tyler Studio Elites. 
I’m interested in buying one. Preferably the HD version with the midboost. 
Does anyone know if the Japanese versions are as good as the USA versions?
Thanks, Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    edited January 20 tFB Trader
    If you were to judge the guitar on playability and build quality then few will have complaints - Admittedly the neck profile will always be a matter of taste but I like it - They are generally a bit more 'beefy' than a regular Fender - Think they call it 59 but you can find them with a slimmer profile, but most I've seen have the '59' profile - 10/12" compound radius - Easy to set up with a slick easy action - As I said, from how they feel/play then few complaints

I'll warn you now, that many of the posts to follow this, will all point to the negatives they have towards the headstock logo - Ignore that and ignore them - If it plays well and you like it then go for it 

Suhr, Anderson, Tyler tend to be 3 of the top 'boutique' modern Strat models out there - Personally I favour TA and Tyler out of the 3 

I've not actually played a Jap version so can't help you on that score 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to trying one out! 
    I have an Anderson Bobcat that is incredible. I’d like to get an equivalent in quality in the superstrat or JM style. Then I’d feel like the luckiest guitarist ever!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to trying one out! 
    I have an Anderson Bobcat that is incredible. I’d like to get an equivalent in quality in the superstrat or JM style. Then I’d feel like the luckiest guitarist ever!
    Well you are obviously spoilt with quality and appreciate it anyway - I know TA offer various neck profiles, so not sure what you have on your Bobcat so not sure what you are familiar with - Not even sure if you are hoping/expecting it to be the same/similar - But they are different guitars anyway - I know for a while that GuitarGuitar were the only UK dealer with stock so maybe worth a visit to a store to check out a few - You see few used examples for sale 

But IMO if you like the quality of the TA, then the Tyler won't let you down either 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Had both a black classic with rosewood board, and a black studio elite with maple and mid boost - both MIJ.

Both bought sight unseen from GuitarGuitar, both had the 59 neck which is a pretty perfect profile for me. Superb quality, great sound, perfect setup and tuning stability

I went back to a CS strat for a slightly more vintage feel, but will def have another Tyler in due course.

I haven't tried a MIA version, and given the price premium I think I'd stick with MIJ.

Both sold on here, so I'm sure @Kebabkid and @Aidanspaghetti will chip in!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 9
    I loved the Tyler but the fuller neck was causing my hand to open up and I was getting associated pain and I'd not had a neck that big before.
    In hindsight, shaving the neck would've been a good option and I've since found out they do a thinner neck. Otherwise, the guitar was perfect for me and so much so that I had Tyler pickups installed in my Rob Williams superstrat. 

I can't see what the difference is between an MIA and MIJ other than where assembled and it being a couple of grand cheaper. The MIJ quality is high with superb fretwork and I'm glad mine went to a good friend.

I've had several Suhrs, a Custom Shop Schecter a Tom Anderson Drop Top and my Tyler MIJ Black Classic was up there with the latter.

If a Tyler MIJ Landau or preferably a Dann Huff one came up with a thinner neck, I'd be very tempted.

Expect to pay £2-2.5K for a used MIJ Tyler but bottom line, they're very good.

EDIT: Having spoken to Tyler Guitars, whilst they don't sell replacement necks, if you were to ship your existing one to them, they'd reshape it for you

• motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    edited January 20
    On the Japan vs US quality question, I have been down every rabbit hole on the internet on this and the consensus is that there is no discernible difference at all. And the only spec difference is the neck - the Japan made guitars all come with a constant 11" radius, vs the compound radius on the US necks. My more feeble field research - two US guitars, one Japan backs this up.

The neck shape is a funny one. I'd come from 7+ years of chunky to huge necks, and the Japan model Tyler that came my way last month had the extra slim, which is not a million miles from a modern Fender C shape. So I didn't expect to get along with it at all, and reserved the option of returning it. I did bork my left hand pretty badly over the first week with it and had to take a course of anti-inflammatories to get it back working. But decided that the extra reach on the lower strings justified some effort in adjusting my own technique, which has worked out quite well making this a keeper. 

BTW, I did re-try one of the US guitars, to compare the stock "59" neck and decided I now prefer the thinner one. 

Also, ignore any opinions on the headstock including your own. Once one of these gets under your skin you will come to like the headstock.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Owned two USA and one Jap model, no difference at all. All three sounded amazing, really lightweight, but never gigged them because of the big necks. Always had it strapped way too high to able to play lead on it. 
    Awesome guitars. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Thank you so much for the info! 
    That’s great to hear about the quality of the MIJ’s.  I actually messaged Aidan about the USA Studio Elite he had for sale, but it’s sold. Due to the prices, I’m likely to go with MIJ.

MIJsnewi123 said:
    Had both a black classic with rosewood board, and a black studio elite with maple and mid boost - both MIJ.

Both bought sight unseen from GuitarGuitar, both had the 59 neck which is a pretty perfect profile for me. Superb quality, great sound, perfect setup and tuning stability

I went back to a CS strat for a slightly more vintage feel, but will def have another Tyler in due course.

I haven't tried a MIA version, and given the price premium I think I'd stick with MIJ.

• Thank you, that is a great help. I quite like big feeing necks, so that’s good for me at least!
     Kebabkid said:
    I loved the Tyler but the fuller neck was causing my hand to open up and I was getting associated pain and I'd not had a neck that big before.
    In hindsight, shaving the neck would've been a good option and I've since found out they do a thinner neck. Otherwise, the guitar was perfect for me and so much so that I had Tyler pickups installed in my Rob Williams superstrat. 

I can't see what the difference is between an MIA and MIJ other than where assembled and it being a couple of grand cheaper. The MIJ quality is high with superb fretwork and I'm glad mine went to a good friend.

I've had several Suhrs, a Custom Shop Schecter a Tom Anderson Drop Top and my MIJ Classic was up there with the latter.

If an MIJ Landau or preferably a Dann Huff one came up with a thinner neck, I'd be very tempted.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4167
    Love Tyler guitars 
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    edited January 21
    The differences between Japanese and US Tyler’s are minimal. The main differences being that the MIJ guitars have an 11” radius, US ones 10” to 12” compound radius. The weights on Japanese guitars tend to be more variable, the heaviest I own is a MIJ the tops the scales at 8Ibs 7oz, the US factory aims to keep them under 8Ibs (although I have occasionally seen one slightly over that). Japanese guitars are only available as solid bodies, with you US guitars you can specify solid or hollow, maple topped guitars are ribbed on the inside (presumably for extra pleasure…). Regarding neck shape, these days MIJ guitars only come with the 59 profile (other profiles have been available in the past), US guitars have a choice of five. 

I currently have another MIJ on order and will be heading out to the US factory in the coming weeks, so I’m sure another US one will follow soon after. 
  • The differences between Japanese and US Tyler’s are minimal. The main differences being that the MIJ guitars have an 11” radius, US ones 10” to 12” compound radius. The weights on Japanese guitars tend to be more variable, the heaviest I own is a MIJ the tops the scales at 8Ibs 7oz, the US factory aims to keep them under 8Ibs (although I have occasionally seen one slightly over that). Japanese guitars are only available as solid bodies, with you US guitars you can specify solid or hollow, maple topped guitars are ribbed on the inside (presumably for extra pleasure…). Regarding neck shape, these days MIJ guitars only come with the 59 profile (other profiles have been available in the past), US guitars have a choice of five. 

I currently have another MIJ on order and will be heading out to the US factory in the coming weeks, so I’m sure another US one will follow soon after. 

Great to hear that the MIJ quality is on par with the MIA. Thanks for your reply! BGG said:
    Owned two USA and one Jap model, no difference at all. All three sounded amazing, really lightweight, but never gigged them because of the big necks. Always had it strapped way too high to able to play lead on it. 
    Awesome guitars. 

Kebabkid said:

I've had several Suhrs, a Custom Shop Schecter a Tom Anderson Drop Top and my MIJ Classic was up there with the latter.

If an MIJ Landau or preferably a Dann Huff one came up with a thinner neck, I'd be very tempted.

Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to trying one out! 
    Well you are obviously spoilt with quality and appreciate it anyway - I know TA offer various neck profiles, so not sure what you have on your Bobcat so not sure what you are familiar with - Not even sure if you are hoping/expecting it to be the same/similar - But they are different guitars anyway - I know for a while that GuitarGuitar were the only UK dealer with stock so maybe worth a visit to a store to check out a few - You see few used examples for sale 

But IMO if you like the quality of the TA, then the Tyler won't let you down either 

Kebabkid said:

newi123 said:

BGG said:
    Awesome guitars. 

• Slim, not aim
  • On the Japan vs US quality question, I have been down every rabbit hole on the internet on this and the consensus is that there is no discernible difference at all. And the only spec difference is the neck - the Japan made guitars all come with a constant 11" radius, vs the compound radius on the US necks. My more feeble field research - two US guitars, one Japan backs this up.

The neck shape is a funny one. I'd come from 7+ years of chunky to huge necks, and the Japan model Tyler that came my way last month had the extra slim, which is not a million miles from a modern Fender C shape. So I didn't expect to get along with it at all, and reserved the option of returning it. I did bork my left hand pretty badly over the first week with it and had to take a course of anti-inflammatories to get it back working. But decided that the extra reach on the lower strings justified some effort in adjusting my own technique, which has worked out quite well making this a keeper. 

BTW, I did re-try one of the US guitars, to compare the stock "59" neck and decided I now prefer the thinner one. 

Also, ignore any opinions on the headstock including your own. Once one of these gets under your skin you will come to like the headstock.

• So, I’ve only heard good things about James Tyler Japanese Studio Elites. Anyone know if the early ones like the first run from 2002 are as good as the post 2016 ones?
    Thanks! 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    The slim 59 is the neck to get if you’re worried about neck size. Still the odd one out there , much comfier. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I had a USA and didn’t like it. It didn’t stay with me for long!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    So, I’ve only heard good things about James Tyler Japanese Studio Elites. Anyone know if the early ones like the first run from 2002 are as good as the post 2016 ones?
    Thanks! 
    No. They were canned pretty quickly as James was not happy with the quality. 
  • March said:
    So, I’ve only heard good things about James Tyler Japanese Studio Elites. Anyone know if the early ones like the first run from 2002 are as good as the post 2016 ones?
    Thanks! 
    No. They were canned pretty quickly as James was not happy with the quality. 
    Thanks to March and AidanSpaghetti for the info about the first run of Tyler’s in 2002. I was very close to having one shipped over from Japan! 
    If anyone has a SEHD for sale, you know who is interested! 
  • I just got a used 2021 James Tyler Studio Elite full spec imported from Japan. It’s absolutely awesome. More tones than I know what to do with! A very inspiring and musical instrument.
    Not sure how to post a photo on here though …  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom