It Bites - Francis Dunnery

What's Hot
icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
Just back from seeing him again in Manchester, Magnificent 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26584
    Nice :) I've not seen him live with a full band, but he did a house show at my dad's place a couple of years back, was excellent.

Also, the dude's tall. Wow.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    I saw them a few times in the late 80’s or 90’s, excellent, and effortless guitar playing.  

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited January 21
    Saw him at least four times with It Bites in the late 80s…….whole band were spectacular and inspiring to experience.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited January 21
    icu81b4 said:
    How is the new material? 

My bro-in-law has the new album I’m just waiting on him bringing it round.

Ive seen FD a ton of times in the past, both on his solo tours / house concerts and in his version of It Bites. I’ve also seen John Mitchell with the other original members of IB. It’s all good. The later mentioned JM / IB show is in my top 3 of all time gigs I’ve been to.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    icu81b4 said:
    How is the new material? 

Ive seen FD a ton of times in the past, both on his solo tours / house concerts and in his version of It Bites. I’ve also seen John Mitchell with the other original members of IB. It’s all good. The later mentioned JM / IB show is in my top 3 of all time gigs I’ve been to.
    I was listening to his album in the car on the way to the gig, I was sat in the back so couldn’t hear it properly, my driver (a drummer) reckoned it lacked ‘punch’ from his earlier albums but what he played at the gig was nice and melodic rather than rocky. 

He performed mainly older It Bites songs. 

I too have seen the JM/IB band a couple of times, I guess since they have disbanded now this gives FD a bit more of an excuse to play IB songs. 

You are probably aware that John Mitchell is also a guitarist in Frost* (amongst other bands .. Kino etc..) and Frost* are an amazing outfit. 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Cool - saw It Bites about 20 times. Dunnery is a brilliant guitarist. Just humming Vampires actually whilst writing this and thinking f*ck it's killer. I also loved the John Mitchell era stuff..

Thanks for posting - will check out what he is up to..
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    edited January 22
    icu81b4 said:
    icu81b4 said:
    How is the new material? 

I was listening to his album in the car on the way to the gig, I was sat in the back so couldn’t hear it properly, my driver (a drummer) reckoned it lacked ‘punch’ from his earlier albums but what he played at the gig was nice and melodic rather than rocky. 

I too have seen the JM/IB band a couple of times, I guess since they have disbanded now this gives FD a bit more of an excuse to play IB songs. 

You are probably aware that John Mitchell is also a guitarist in Frost* (amongst other bands .. Kino etc..) and Frost* are an amazing outfit. 

The It BitesFD album arrived on Saturday, not had chance to listen to it yet. Been playing Once Around The World in the car quite a bit again....love that album. 

Not seen Frank with a band but a mate of a mate booked him for a house concert a few years ago. Bit of an odd concept but it was good fun and he played Good Life from Gulley Flats Boys which was ace. 

Seen the JM fronted It Bites a couple of times (The Tall Ships is a brilliant album) and Frost* loads.... and Jem Godfrey's 'Frost* Reports' on Youtube that he used to do were great fun.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I saw on Facebook that Guthrie Govan was in the audience at last night's gig.  No pressure then Frank.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4 said:
    icu81b4 said:
    How is the new material? 

Yes I love Frost*. I had tickets to see them on the last tour in Edinburgh but I couldn’t go due to illness. 

The ‘lacked punch’ comment makes sense, especially if it’s the same as the recent live album FD released. He’s got this thing at the moment where he won’t use additional EQ, plugins or compression on his recordings. Unfortunately the production of the live album really suffers for me because of that. It sounds really flat and lifeless.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Saw him with It Bites back in the late 80s (University Tour gigs....or in my case "Poly" :) )

Always thought he was very good - he was the 1st player that I can recall playing in that Tom Quayle legato style.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 23
    Friends went last night and said he was excellent. He had Chad Wackerman on drums!!!!

Another friend booked FD for a house gig up at his place in Yorkshire and said he was a really interesting and intense guy, into his Astrology but very entertaining.

I saw It Bites on what might've been their first tour and they were supporting Go West. They were excellent and very young, but already so accomplished. I loved FD's acoustic stuff, too.

I've also seen It Bites with John Mitchell (Nathan King of Level 42, The Blockheads and All About The Bass was on bass) and they, too, were excellent and JM is equally accomplished.  
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    edited January 23
    Excellent band, saw rthem in the 80s.  A mate lent me a copy of his brothers Baz's (RIP) band (Necromandus) and some of FD's influences must have come from listening to his brother...
    Who remembers the Equinox documentary!