My Bloody Valentine

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
This band passed me by somehow.....worth a wee delve into their catalog ya think?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    ...and which album tae go for 1st
    tae be or not tae be
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    MBV is trash.

Isn't Anything and Loveless are very different, both are masterpieces. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Loveless' is the sound.

Not a very extensive back catalogue: give it all a spin!

Recommended order: Loveless, Isn't Anything, EPs (on Spotify), m b v (I only ever played this once).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Loveless is great. I don't think I've ever listened to anything else of theirs
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Recommended order: Loveless, Isn't Anything, EPs (on Spotify), m b v (I only ever played this once).
    There are some absolute gems on the EPs - good call.

I liked Ecstacy And Wine too, but before that they were awful. Like shit goth country & western. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited January 22
    Bill Murray failed to consummate his onscreen relationship with Scarlett Johansson because of this band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Agree with most of what's been said. 'Loveless' is THE seminal shoegaze album. Start there and just fan out... Isn't Anything definitely second-best. m b v has moments, but isn't quite the stone-cold classic. The EPs are all good to great.

Some of the most interesting sonic bits are the gaps between the songs... but Kevin's guitar in general is like nothing that came before or since...
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Loveless probably the better album overall, but my favourite individual song is on Isn't Anything - You Never Should. Soon is good too, but always think of it being on the Glider EP.

As for THE seminal shoegaze album - not sure there is such a thing. All the bands were as different as they were similar. My favourite album which loosely falls in to the genre is Swervedriver - Duel. However, it doesn't have a lot in common with Loveless apart from fact they're both loud alt rock descended from late 80's post punk and US alt bands like Sonic Youth etc
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    ewal said:
    Loveless probably the better album overall, but my favourite individual song is on Isn't Anything - You Never Should. Soon is good too, but always think of it being on the Glider EP.

As for THE seminal shoegaze album - not sure there is such a thing. All the bands were as different as they were similar. My favourite album which loosely falls in to the genre is Swervedriver - Duel. However, it doesn't have a lot in common with Loveless apart from fact they're both loud alt rock descended from late 80's post punk and US alt bands like Sonic Youth etc
    Well, I love me some Slowdive too and they are sonically very different from MBV despite being put into that same genre bucket. I think the problem is mainly that the genre is not well-defined enough, but I still think whatever MBV did with Loveless is "it"... :D
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Got the Loveless  album in....yikes! it's like an album of white noise and 'orrible distortion throughout and somewhere DEEP in the background someone is attempting a vocal with a blanket over their head...I think

That's the last time I am askin' you lot for a recommendation

;)

PS It's mibbe my age...32
    tae be or not tae be
    Ah - maybe try some Merzbow instead? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ewal said:

The only thing they had in common was gazing at their fx pedals  :)
    edited January 26
    ewal said:
    My favourite album which loosely falls in to the genre is Swervedriver - Duel.
    The album is Mezcal Head, but the 2nd track Duel is mind-blowing.
    edited January 25
    Hootsmon said:
    Got the Loveless  album in....yikes! it's like an album of white noise and 'orrible distortion throughout and somewhere DEEP in the background someone is attempting a vocal with a blanket over their head...I think
    Go and get your ears syringed   ;)
    Vintage65 said:
    ewal said:
    I maintain that Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn is their finest work. She's Beside Herself a close second. 
    edited January 26
    Sporky said:
    Vintage65 said:
    ewal said:
    I maintain that Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn is their finest work. She's Beside Herself a close second. 
    I'll have a listen to that later.

Duel is my blueprint for arranging and mixing guitars, and it still sounds great today. I always play it whenever I feel jaded.

I just remembered that I have some Swervedriver 1993 concert footage in my bookmarks.
    Duel is excellent.

She's Beside Herself was, I think, a B-side of Rave Down. Particularly good live, but still great recorded. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Mezcal Head - of course! My brain is addled!!

Duel and Never Lose That Feeling both excellent. Duel is an arranging and mixing masterpiece - I love the way the distorted guitars layer up for the noisy bit. I was trying to play it just recently - even using an alternative tuning, the initial arpeggiated bit is tricky to nail.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    edited January 26
    ewal said:
    Mezcal Head - of course! My brain is addled!!

Duel and Never Lose That Feeling both excellent. Duel is an arranging and mixing masterpiece - I love the way the distorted guitars layer up for the noisy bit. I was trying to play it just recently - even using an alternative tuning, the initial arpeggiated bit is tricky to nail.
    Duel is relentless and it keeps on coming in waves, and you're never quite sure what's going to be next. Did you hear the live version at the Astoria? Those dudes can play too. Rick Beato interviewed Adam a while back and he went through some tunings with him.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    Vintage65 said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Go and get your ears syringed   ;)
    A facility not currently available on the NHS in the UK  :s