SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Vintage Canon EOS Goodness

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5761
I’m listing this as a kit and hopefully the whole bundle will appeal someone here. 

• EOS 1Ds
  • 85mm f.1.2L mkII
  • 200mm f2.8L
  • 50mm f1.8
  • Lensbaby Twist 60
  • Lensbaby Sweet 50
  • Lensbaby Edge 80
  • Lensbaby Composer Pro
EOS 1Ds
A genuinely historic camera, launched in September of 2002, it was the first ‘full frame’ digital camera and the first camera that broke into photographic studios and seriously challenged the monopoly of medium format film. By todays standards the technology is positively vintage, which is actually a lovely shooting experience in itself but the sensor is still on of the finest I’ve ever shot with. Being ‘just’ 11 megapixels on a 35mm sized frame gives the images a beautifully smooth look and the narrow dynamic range means shooting old school, protecting your highlights. The results of that mean it’s a very filmic look, with compressed tones and really strong shadows. 

Also the whole feel of shooting with an EOS 1 is unlike any other camera and why right up up to the last version of the 1Dx, the design remained mostly unchanged. There is nothing that comes close to the feeling of confidence that holding an EOS 1 brings. They the most rugged, most dependable, most ergonomically fabulous ‘small format’ cameras ever made. The fact that this 22 year old design still functions perfectly and more impressively is still commercially viable today is testament to its brilliance..

85mm f1.2L mkII
Basically, the lens that set the standard for portraiture across the industry. A huuuuuuge hunk of glass that delivers a wonderfully small depth of field and glow to your images. This one has taken a knock to the filter ring at some point, so currently won’t take a filter or its lens cap. 

200mm f2.8L
Long, super sharp, super bright. Classic L glass really. Also really light and compact for the reach it gives

50mm f1.8
Yup, the nifty fifty. Teeny, light, compact and cheap but not to be overlooked. Perfectly fab walkabout lens and can also produce some very nice portraits 

Lensbaby Kit
Both fabulous fun and capable of producing fabulous quality too. There is the Twist 60, a complete lens that offers a sharp centre and a swirling effect out towards the edges. The amount of swirl effect is controlled by the aperture you use. 
The Sweet 50 and Edge 80 are both Optical units that fit in the Composer to mount to camera. The Sweet lets you place a circle of sharp focus anywhere in the frame, with a soft blur emanating outwards. The size of the focus circle is controlled again by the aperture. The Edge 80 is more like having a tilt lens.

The Lensbaby bits are in as new condition and have a little case of their own. 
The camera body is amazing condition for its age. Signs of wear but no significant scuff, dents and all three screens are perfect. The sensor is completely clear of marks or fungus 
The Canon lenses are all in good used condition, again no marks or fungus 

I’d like a nice round £1000 for the whole lot. I’ll take some proper pics tomorrow in the light 

And just for some idea of what this lot produces, a few odds and bobs

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4183
    Lovely bokeh on those lenses ,good luck with the sale 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LardyLardy Frets: 20
    If you want to sell the 85 on its own please give me a shout.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5761
    Lardy said:
    If you want to sell the 85 on its own please give me a shout.

Will do. 
    Open to offers or trades. :)
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
    edited January 24
    A quick MPB quote says £867 based on good condition so if condition is better than good you might sneak over the £1k and save on postage cost as they pay it.

I always just put 'excellent' when selling, worse they'll do is downgrade and offer you a reduced quote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A quick MPB quote says £867 based on good condition so if condition is better than good you might sneak over the £1k and save on postage cost as they pay it.

I always just put 'excellent' when selling, worse they'll do is downgrade and offer you a reduced quote.
    I’ve sold a lot of stuff to MPB over the years and their prices are usually very fair for the service. It may well go that way but would be nicer if someone here got a bargain. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    I miss my 5d Mkii enough that I gave this a long thought. Not for me anymore but I miss my Canon full frame and this line is/was iconic for a reason. Some of the best ever. 
    pt22 said:
    I miss my 5d Mkii enough that I gave this a long thought. Not for me anymore but I miss my Canon full frame and this line is/was iconic for a reason. Some of the best ever. 
    Apart from these bits, I’m all mirrorless (or ancient film) now but I’m still struggling to get my head around the fact that the whole EOS system is completely obsolete now. Curiosities for tinkerers to dabble with. 

Does mean bargains of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    dazzajl said:
    pt22 said:
    Apart from these bits, I’m all mirrorless (or ancient film) now but I’m still struggling to get my head around the fact that the whole EOS system is completely obsolete now. Curiosities for tinkerers to dabble with. 

Does mean bargains of course. 
    Absolutely. There was a nice condition 5D mk3 with a battery grip on the Talkphotography classifieds recently. Shutter count was a wee bit high but it was going for £220 :o . That was a £2k camera not that long ago. EF lenses still fetch reasonable money, especially any L glass. You might get a better result if you split the package and price it individually? 
    The 5DIII is an incredible camera. My last bag of Canon work kit before going Fuji was a 6D, a 5DIII and a 5Dsr. The 5 was virtually perfect, the 6 by far my favourite and I never bonded at all with the SR. Just something about the files that always felt lifeless. 

Splitting it all up makes the most sense but then I have to acknowledge that the ‘once greatest ever pro camera’ is now reduced to this….

Although WEX have valued it at a much more cheerful £96. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Ha. The value has always been in the lenses. My 17-40L made my terrible eye look much better than it was, and it was such a great match for the full frame sensor. I hope a someone will make adapters for those L lenses forever. I guess the question is will cameras get too small that they physically won’t fit. 

Are your new mirrorless Canons? (I went Fuji but I’ve never jivved with the software and button layout) 
    pt22 said:
    Ha. The value has always been in the lenses. My 17-40L made my terrible eye look much better than it was, and it was such a great match for the full frame sensor. I hope a someone will make adapters for those L lenses forever. I guess the question is will cameras get too small that they physically won’t fit. 

Are your new mirrorless Canons? (I went Fuji but I’ve never jivved with the software and button layout) 
    I’m all Fuji now, a foot in the X and GFX camps. 

I do miss my Canon kit but they don’t have anything that gets close to the GFX image quality 
    Last shout on here for £850. 

Would rather pass along a deal on here than give it MPB if anyone is pondering