Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    Personally I would spend £30 on this:

https://www.crimsonguitars.com/products/fret-finishing-file

I have one of their basic kits, but I will probably buy one of these as well at some point soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1344
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Those kits are okay, but if you already have most of that stuff, you're just spending money on fairly crappy tools you don't need. Better off getting something specific, like this.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Those kits are okay, but if you already have most of that stuff, you're just spending money on fairly crappy tools you don't need. Better off getting something specific, like this.
    ah brilliant cheers. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7334
    edited January 23
    The most important aspect of a file that's to be used for dealing with the sharp fret ends is having at least one "safe edge".  It needs to be able to get in quite tight to the edges of the frets when you are taking off the sharp sides at the fretboard level and rolling the file over to round them, but if you have an abrasive edge in contact with the fretboard you will file little divots in the edge of the fretboard / binding at either side of the frets.  Yes, you could mitigate this by masking off the fretboard in between the frets with tape or a thin metal fretboard guard / protector, but that adds unwanted bulk and makes it hard to get the abrasive side of the file in contact with enough of the fret edge to be effective.  For filing off the actual end of the fret and/or tang at a slight angle off vertical to make it flush with the side of the fretboard (obviously unbound fretboards), ideally you want a very narrow flat or square file that really just covers the end of the fret without overlapping the fretboard edge at each side.

I have used the same narrow fine triangular file for over 25 years to do all my fret end dressing.  I've gone through a few, but I've bought and used the same type of file each time I wore one out.  I snap off the sharp tapered end and then carefully grind off the slightest amount from each of the 3 corners on a fine grindstone and from the end to create safe edges.  I'm sure you could round off the sharp / abrasive edges of a file on a carborundum sharpening stone or something similar that is capable of grinding a hardened steel file.  You could use a fine narrow flat file from a good quality "needle file" set and dull the corners to create a safe edge.  The last thing you want to be using are any of the files shown in the set in your second Amazon link because they are as rough as a badger's arse and have no safe edges.  They would work in an absolute emergency on the road to take off an annoying sharp edge or something like that, but don't waste your money.

Whatever you use, watch some videos to get an idea of the kind of motion to adopt while doing so to make the job easier and more precise.  Try and use fingers from your other hand to control and guide the file as you work and you will be far less likely to file somewhere you don't want to.  Having a file with a proper and larger handle, rather than just needle file type handles coated in rubbery plastic, make the file much easier to control.
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 73
    Like @BillDL I use a triangle file with the edges ground down from a set of needle files. I also have finger on my other hand on the fretboard behind the file at the fret. Depending how tough your skin is you might need a bit of suede from the cheap worker's gloves.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2425
    I've been using the Stewmac fret end dressing file for years and years, and it never seems to wear out. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    I've been using the Stewmac fret end dressing file for years and years, and it never seems to wear out. 
    I'll second that.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/