Marshall 3210 Lead 100 Mosfet

I have currently acquired a beat up version of this head as a project; its not in the best of shape tbh.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg615/bloodandtearsUK/Guitar Stuff/IMG_20141023_213731.jpg

Cosmetically it needs a clean, a new DI level pot, two new Marshall dials, and probably a replacement handle.

It came with a footswitch with LEDs but I am new to this amp and cannot work out what the footswitch should actually toggle??
I was guessing channel (clean/dirty) and boost??  but I have read it is boost and reverb??
It looks like this iirc..
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3400/wd2ocl/products/1902/images/3356/MARSHALL_M_PEDL_91001__32383.1409781133.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I am struggling to get the reverb to work and as such think the reverb tank may be bust anyway as is common; any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hoping to give this amp a blast over the next few weeks with the intention of using it in my AC-DC Angus role.  If I like it, I may look at getting a tidier version, and then a TS9 :-)

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72764
    That's the wrong footswitch and may not work - the LEDs interfere with the way the switching operates. You need an older plain footswitch with no LEDs. It switches channel and reverb - there's no 'boost', that's just what Marshall called the dirty channel.

It may not be a faulty reverb tank - there's a nasty known fault with the reverb drive circuit on these, fairly rare but serious and can be difficult to fix. I've never actually come across one with it, but someone on here (HHWarner I think) has. Check the tank impedance at both ends before you buy a new one!

Apart from that it doesn't look in bad shape. I wouldn't bother fixing the DI pot, the DI on these is un-emulated and sounds crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I read the HHWarner discussion and will make a rational decision before spending cash on a service/repair job...

I'll attempt to source a correct pedal; although in the meantime, is there a way of testing the reverb, or is it a case of if it's turn off then thats tough until its turned on via a footswitch?

To clarify.. the channel footswitch allows the channels to operate independantly and thus toggles clean and dirty....  and has zero relevance on the push-pull pot status?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• My trading feedback

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72764
    bloodandtears said:

I'll attempt to source a correct pedal; although in the meantime, is there a way of testing the reverb, or is it a case of if it's turn off then thats tough until its turned on via a footswitch?
    The fault doesn't affect the reverb return circuit as far as I can tell, so if you shake/bump the amp with the reverb turned up and get reverb crash, the return transducer is working; swap the tank connections temporarily to test the send end - the crash should be quieter, but still present.

I think it's also possible the contact in the footswitch jack may stop the reverb working if there's no correct footswitch in it, if it's gone dodgy.

bloodandtears said:

To clarify.. the channel footswitch allows the channels to operate independantly and thus toggles clean and dirty....  and has zero relevance on the push-pull pot status?
    Yes. The push-pull just routes the dirty channel through the clean channel EQ, as well as the single tone knob. (Clue: you always want this ;).)

Yes, although that will turn your reverb into chorus, and you don't want that.

:-P

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Just gave this a quick blast and all seems to function properly, I'll source a pedal and bits now.
    My trading feedback

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Iv got the correct pedal. If your interested Ill sell the amp for spares and throw in the pedal as well. Cosmetically mine isn't bad. I have had reverb problems with it and it has blown a couple of resistors and diodes on the board.