Gold anniversary EHX Ram's Head Big Muff

What's Hot
cowie86cowie86 Frets: 22
Was launched at 5pm our time, 550 units only, $250 each (plus postage, plus customs fees, plus VAT when it arrives here),  sold out in about an hour I think. 

I ordered one but then instantly regretted it and cancelled my order. I'll be careful how I phrase this next bit because a few people bit my head off on TGP earlier....

From what we know so far, other than this version having through hole components, the circuit is the same as the standard reissue ram's head that you can buy anywhere. There doesn't seem to be anything there (NOS components, circuit design, etc) that makes it *sound* different. What makes it special edition is that it's a big box enclosure, it's gold, it comes in a velvet bag inside a wooden box, and it was overseen by Mike Matthews' son. 

I appreciate some people buy limited edition pedals purely for the collectible element, but personally I like there to be something that sonically distinguishes it from the standard version. 

Thoughts?

(In classic TGP style, someone accused me of "wimping out" for cancelling my order)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Yeah you goddamn wimp! Gee. Woop woop. Trump for president etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Nah I get it. Plus the gold doesn’t work. You did the right thing. The nano will sound the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    Meh. Not really a muff guy anyway, but I don't really see the appeal. The gold is naff and it comes in the original massive case and wooden box. At least half will be flipped on Reverb the moment they ship. 

Buy a Fallout Cloud instead and be happy...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Pedals are not investment securities. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    pt22 said:
    There’s quick profit in some limiteds though ;)
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    pt22 said:
    There’s quick profit in some limiteds though ;)
    Maybe I shouldn't talk. I made £40 on a limited edition JHS Oil Can delay recently, but that wasn't my original intent and I was lucky enough to be travelling from overseas at the time. Plus, it is only £40!

I still see it as scalping though, which is detestable, and these manufacturers don't care and are in fact taking advantage of the situation. 
  • You deffo could’ve sold it on, but why take the risk when it’s something you’re not even sure you want. 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    Shouldn’t have wimped out mate. Wimpy behaviour that. It’s gloriously ugly and gold and huge and OoOF YeA!  
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    You’ve made a right burger of yourself cancelling. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cowie86cowie86 Frets: 22
    Shouldn’t have wimped out mate. Wimpy behaviour that. It’s gloriously ugly and gold and huge and OoOF YeA!  
    I thought about replying to say that I had previously bought the EHX Lizard Queen and the Boss TB-2W, which presumably makes me really brave (?!?) but then I remembered it was TGP, where logic and humour have no place. So I just came here, where I knew most people would say "It looks shit, mate. Well done for cancelling."
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    The thing with pedals as investments ... these magic boxes only have cultural relevance to geezers of a certain age.  When we snuff it, the actual pedals played by the greats - and I mean the actual pedals and not pedals just like them - may retain value.  The price of all the others will crash.

It is clearly stupid that folks will pay more for a simple circuit board in a cheap metal box than it costs for a very functional and well set up guitar.  This is a bubble, so enjoy it while it lasts. 
  • cowie86cowie86 Frets: 22
    The thing with pedals as investments ... these magic boxes only have cultural relevance to geezers of a certain age.  When we snuff it, the actual pedals played by the greats - and I mean the actual pedals and not pedals just like them - may retain value.  The price of all the others will crash.

It is clearly stupid that folks will pay more for a simple circuit board in a cheap metal box than it costs for a very functional and well set up guitar.  This is a bubble, so enjoy it while it lasts. 
    I've actually been thinking about this a lot recently. A lot of the 20-somethings these days aren't interested in germanium resistors or historic reproductions (a) because they don't have the money for that kind of thing and (b) because their generation have come up in an age of modellers and plug-ins.

It's possible that most of the pedal trading population could eventually "age out" and when people my around my age (37) finally want to unload their pedal collection, there might not be anyone younger who is interested in buying it.

I like to think I'll always be able to find a buyer for my more rare and interesting pedals, but I wouldn't want to try and sell a £300 gold Big Muff in a velvet bag to a generation of people who are perfectly happy the muff preset on their modeller/DAW!
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    Youngsters always rediscover what was old. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    Meh. Not really a muff guy anyway, but I don't really see the appeal. The gold is naff and it comes in the original massive case and wooden box. At least half will be flipped on Reverb the moment they ship. 

They’re already sold out, so most likely you could have bought one, flipped it with a markup and bought the Fallout Cloud with the profit ;P
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    The gold really is shit. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    pt22 said:
    Did you not read the title? This one's made of gold! 
    Cols said:

They’re already sold out, so most likely you could have bought one, flipped it with a markup and bought the Fallout Cloud with the profit ;P
    True. But you can't buy a BC108 FC any more and that's better because it's limited ;) 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I’ll swim against the tide here, and venture a few things. 

Firstly, it’s only a shade over £200. All pedals are £200 these days at a bare minimum. 

The rams head muff to be fair, sounds amazing. From the originals to the stock reissue, it’s an incredible pedal worthy of celebration given its importance in the pantheon of pedals used on hit records over the years. Add to that the charm of the big box EHX pedals with their ludicrous wooden boxes, I can totally see the appeal. The gold is so garish and silly that I rather like it, fwiw. It’d be a cool thing to own even if you didn’t play it, and if you did, then great - it’s a superb pedal and yes there’s a markup for the limited release given that the internals are the same, but when isn’t there? - the Mascis is also more expensive for even less justification. 

AND whether you like it or not, they’ll be changing hands for significant money in no time at all, and I suspect in the medium to longterm too. 

Now stop all your whinging and move along. For a start, it’s only the same price as all the boutique alternatives mentioned above. You people. This country. Etc etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Have we done "I'm not giving Mike Matthews any of my money ever again" yet, or is that tomorrow? :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Have we done "I'm not giving Mike Matthews any of my money ever again" yet, or is that tomorrow? :) 
    Everybody is awful, wherever you spend your money. Fuck it, let’s all just strap in for the ride. Don’t you live in the UAE?!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom