Victory Sheriff (the latest versions) thoughts?

What's Hot
Anyone tried the "new" Sheriff amps? Do we like them or not?

The form factor appeals to me and the modern appointments, more so than buying a JCM 800 big boy or the Studio JCM 800. So I'm curious.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 53
    Just to say I’d also like to hear from anyone who has played or owns the Sheriff 25 or 100.
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    The new Deputy looks really interesting.
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 20
    I had a go on the new Sheriff 100 and was really surprised. I compared it in the room to a few Friedmans and its going for that kind of sound - modded plexi/800 tones with loads of gain if you need it. It sort of reminded me a bit of the old Cornford MK50 but much more Marshally in tone.

At this quality and price point they all sound really good its a matter of what you prefer. The vintage channel is very plexi like but the Hot Rod channel is where its at for me. It nails the modded Marshall sound and most importantly its a very easy amp to play. A lot of Marshall type circuits are very stiff and unforgiving to play but this is not and was a lot of fun. The nearest thing I can think of to compare it to that I have owned is the Friedman Smallbox but this has more gain than that and is more modded 800 than modded plexi in its sound.  I bought a Sheriff 25 combo which doesn't have the ultimate flexibility of the 100 head but still has the twin masters which you can just use as a volume boost if you want which I find quite useful. 

They are not cheap but the quality of construction and sound is absolutely up there. For reference on the day I tried the SLO 30 (nothing like the SLO 100 I owned to my ears) a Marshall JVM (no) and a Friedman Twin Sister (Excellent but different in tone and attack). 

Its good - I bought one.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PPPMAT said:
    I had a go on the new Sheriff 100 and was really surprised. I compared it in the room to a few Friedmans and its going for that kind of sound - modded plexi/800 tones with loads of gain if you need it. It sort of reminded me a bit of the old Cornford MK50 but much more Marshally in tone.

At this quality and price point they all sound really good its a matter of what you prefer. The vintage channel is very plexi like but the Hot Rod channel is where its at for me. It nails the modded Marshall sound and most importantly its a very easy amp to play. A lot of Marshall type circuits are very stiff and unforgiving to play but this is not and was a lot of fun. The nearest thing I can think of to compare it to that I have owned is the Friedman Smallbox but this has more gain than that and is more modded 800 than modded plexi in its sound.  I bought a Sheriff 25 combo which doesn't have the ultimate flexibility of the 100 head but still has the twin masters which you can just use as a volume boost if you want which I find quite useful. 

They are not cheap but the quality of construction and sound is absolutely up there. For reference on the day I tried the SLO 30 (nothing like the SLO 100 I owned to my ears) a Marshall JVM (no) and a Friedman Twin Sister (Excellent but different in tone and attack). 

It’s good - I bought one.
    Nice work. Interested that it sounded like a more Marshall like MK50. I’d be keen to play one side by side with my MK50 heads. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    PPPMAT said:

Its good - I bought one.
    This is good to read! What's the top end like? I found my old Sheriff 44 too dark, generally, and the difference between channel 2 on that Sheriff and my Marshall SC20 JCM was like night and day.
    Tim
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 20
    timmypix said:
    PPPMAT said:

Its good - I bought one.
    This is good to read! What's the top end like? I found my old Sheriff 44 too dark, generally, and the difference between channel 2 on that Sheriff and my Marshall SC20 JCM was like night and day.
    I have never played a Sherrif 44 but from the clips it sounds much more like a plexi to me which is kind of like the vintage channel on the new ones. The Hot Rod channel is much more proper 70s/80s Marshall - more aggressive. Think Thin Lizzy with more gain or dare i say it Slash
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom