3-on-a-plate tuners - all standard size?

What's Hot
I've recently bought a nice little Gretsch Gin Rickey as a sofa guitar. It's fun, except one of the tuners goes slack/tight just at the correct tuning (for G). Looking closely the gearing seems imperfectly aligned. And it goes so tight that it feels that the plastic tuner button's about to break off.

A quick Google shows that the tuners are quite often upgraded, and I've found quite a few, like this one: 

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/gotoh-35p-450-tuners-for-slot-head-acoustic-guitars-nickel-finish

Ideally, they'd be a drop-in replacement and the dimensions seem right.

So just wondering if anyone knows if these tend to be standardised spacings, etc?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Nowadays, the post spacing is fairly standardised at 35mm, but the screw hole positions can still vary a lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Thanks - it seems to check out, so I've ordered a set. Will check that they all turn smoothly before installing, as I'll bet most come out of the same factory.
  • EndpinEndpin Frets: 12
    The tuner set you’ve linked to is for a slotted headstock. Does your guitar not have an ordinary flat paddle headstock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    edited January 26
    Endpin said:
    The tuner set you’ve linked to is for a slotted headstock. Does your guitar not have an ordinary flat paddle headstock?
    I think it does but the tuners are mounted in a “block”

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/acoustic/g9520e-gin-rickey-acousticelectric-with-soundhole-pickup/2705000506

But I agree that the tuners linked in the original post may not fit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Apologies - I had bookmarked a couple of options as I was researching, and I just copied one of the links.

If I narrowed it down properly, the appropriate ones are turning up in about an hour! :anguished: 

(I saw a few owners had upgraded to individual tuners, but didn't think the extra woodwork was worthwhile.)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    goldtop said:

I saw a few owners had upgraded to individual tuners, but didn't think the extra woodwork was worthwhile.
    I’ve never understood why individual tuners are considered such an upgrade - yes, historically 3-on-a-plates were usually cheaper and individuals usually more expensive, but decent quality 3-on-a-plates are actually better, because they remove the full string tension from the mounting screws so there is no possibility of them coming loose - they’re locked in position by the three posts, the screws just hold them against the headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Belated update to say that the 3-on-a-plate tuners worked out fine. The Gretch's original set had one worm/gear thing which was either out of alignment or badly made. That was for the G string.

The replacements went straight in and have a slightly nicer and bigger button. 

If anyone has a use for the ones I took off, let me know and I'll post them out.