Kelly amplifiers - interesting co-incidence

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
edited January 24 in Amps
On a teams video call with a work colleague & he had his guitars on wall and I noticed under them was a Kelly amp on top of a matching 4x12 cab and (in view of his name) asked if any relation.  Turns out he is John Kelly's grandson and he also had the Kelly version of the Selmer treble n bass 50 on another shelf.   John used to work for Selmer but then went off to start up on his own to make 'improved' versions (these were the days before patents were as common, I'm told).

Just thought I'd share as an interesting aside should anyone here have a Kelly amp or be familiar with them or even have worked on them!  

https://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/kelly/kel.html

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wineredwinered Frets: 78
    Was it like this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    The one on the shelf was but the one out was I think this one with matching cab:

https://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/kelly/kel14.html
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wineredwinered Frets: 78
    I see. I think mine must be modelled on the Mk 2 Selmer amps. Controls at the top of the box, with the amp mounted upside down.
  • Dave_YDave_Y Frets: 1
    I've seen one for sale in Brough (near Hull) for some time now, reasonably priced on FB marketplace at £400.
    Front panel controls, pretty good condition!
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    John Kelly was a diamond. He always said “I wouldn’t know a good sounding amp from a bad one!.. I just put it on the bench and adjust everything to the correct specs.”.……and still I think everything he ever looked at for me came back sounding as if it had had fairy dust sprinkled in the back of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom