Pickguard fitting for a relic strat

What's Hot
ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
Just taken delivery of a 63 CS strat but it has a tort pickguard and I've always preferred mint green. The last time I changed one of these out it was fairly straight forward as it was on a strat pro ii - so fairly modern. What I've noticed on this CS however is there is a small notch on the pickguard just close to the neck pocket which I assume makes space for the truss rod screw when you need to make adjustments. The modern pickguards don't look to have the same small notch - I'm guessing it would fit but would require the pickguard to be removed when adjusting the truss rod which could be a bit of a ballache? Or will the truss rod be accessible anyway and the notch is just for aesthetics? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1434
    I bought a tort....similar story..but reversed.. I used a rat tail file and made my own indentation 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
    nero1701 said:
    I bought a tort....similar story..but reversed.. I used a rat tail file and made my own indentation 
    Do you need the indentation then to access the truss rod?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14292
    tFB Trader
    ditchboy said:
    nero1701 said:
    Not really helpful - Best bet is to take the neck off - 2nd best bet is to release the 4 screws enough so as you can 'tilt' the neck  enough to gain access to the truss rod - That recess on the scratchplate is neither use nor ornament 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1434
    ditchboy said:
    nero1701 said:
    Not really helpful - Best bet is to take the neck off - 2nd best bet is to release the 4 screws enough so as you can 'tilt' the neck  enough to gain access to the truss rod - That recess on the scratchplate is neither use nor ornament 
    I was about to check. 
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 73
    Why not use the original guard as a template and adjust whichever new guard you get. Rather than playing about with the neck.
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    ditchboy said:
    Just taken delivery of a 63 CS strat but it has a tort pickguard and I've always preferred mint green. The last time I changed one of these out it was fairly straight forward as it was on a strat pro ii - so fairly modern. What I've noticed on this CS however is there is a small notch on the pickguard just close to the neck pocket which I assume makes space for the truss rod screw when you need to make adjustments. The modern pickguards don't look to have the same small notch - I'm guessing it would fit but would require the pickguard to be removed when adjusting the truss rod which could be a bit of a ballache? Or will the truss rod be accessible anyway and the notch is just for aesthetics? 
    Wot guitars4u said above re adjustment... but before you buy a mint one check your screw hole pattern! The so called  '62' pattern (used through part of 1963)  is different to a modern Strat, you don't want to have to drill a hole in your nice CS, or in your pickguard for that matter...`62 hole pattern can be identified by the hole placement between/above neck and middle PU, as opposed to close to middle PU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3975
    ditchboy said:
    Wot guitars4u said above re adjustment... but before you buy a mint one check your screw hole pattern! The so called  '62' pattern (used through part of 1963)  is different to a modern Strat, you don't want to have to drill a hole in your nice CS, or in your pickguard for that matter...`62 hole pattern can be identified by the hole placement between/above neck and middle PU, as opposed to close to middle PU
    Charles Guitars have both I noticed.
    This guitar has the two screws close together by the middle pup so it looks like the modern version. 

Is Charles guitars stuff good then? I’ve been looking at those, I really wanted a genuine fender as I do like the colour but got the dilemma of having a shiny modern pickguard on a relic guitar which will probably look odd. Genuine fender cs parts aren’t particularly easy to come by either.  :o
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    I have a minty green pickguard on my AVRI '62 Stratocaster. I would gladly exchange it for a torty version with the 1962 fastening screw layout. 

My preference is towards brown tort rather than Fray Bentos red.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I have a minty green pickguard on my AVRI '62 Stratocaster. I would gladly exchange it for a torty version with the 1962 fastening screw layout. 

My preference is towards brown tort rather than Fray Bentos red.
    I would have happily traded for the one that came on this but the hole patterns are different. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9648
    ditchboy said:
    I really wanted a genuine fender as I do like the colour but got the dilemma of having a shiny modern pickguard on a relic guitar which will probably look odd.
    It’s easy to dull the gloss with fine steel wool, or probably better, a couple of grades of Scotchbrite pads. Finish with T-Cut if required. I’ve done several like this, and been satisfied with the improvement each time.
    ditchboy said:
    I really wanted a genuine fender as I do like the colour but got the dilemma of having a shiny modern pickguard on a relic guitar which will probably look odd.
    It’s easy to dull the gloss with fine steel wool, or probably better, a couple of grades of Scotchbrite pads. Finish with T-Cut if required. I’ve done several like this, and been satisfied with the improvement each time.
    A dark T cut to make it look dirty?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Vintage Scratchplates don’t tend to lose their shine. For a more realistic look I’d let it wear in as you play it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Vintage Scratchplates don’t tend to lose their shine. For a more realistic look I’d let it wear in as you play it
    Nor do they have the same perfect shine of a factory fresh guard.  

Dulling the shine is the quick way to make them look aged, but absolutely not authentic.  It can be a good way to make a new part not stand out on a old guitar.  Sometimes that is enough, especially with honest restoration.

Repolishing by hand gets much closer to that old shiny look.

It's a difficult balance to achieve.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    It doesn't really take that long for a shiny pick guard to look used and worn in and more natural. You can't rush authenticity, if that is the look you desire.
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    ditchboy said:
    This guitar has the two screws close together by the middle pup so it looks like the modern version. 

Is Charles guitars stuff good then? I’ve been looking at those, I really wanted a genuine fender as I do like the colour but got the dilemma of having a shiny modern pickguard on a relic guitar which will probably look odd. Genuine fender cs parts aren’t particularly easy to come by either.  :o
    Earl Pilanz on Ebay is my go to,  also note that not all 'mint' guards are the same and onscreen can be deceptive!  I bought samples, and by far the best match for vintage and relic Strats was vintage mint, a kind of subtle faded greyish green, not that horrible limey colour I see on some Strats.

• Depends on what you are looking at achieving. Nitrocellulose plastic usually goes a bit yellowish as it ages and is exposed to UV (as do varnishes of that type used on guitars), and not normally in a completely uniform way either. The plastic becomes brittle, shrinks and warps too, so a genuinely old scatchplate made of that material will probably crack near the screwholes as it shrinks, and look unevenly yellowish or possibly a bit greenish; it won't be as shiny as it was when new, regardless of the scratches it also gains from playing.

Then you have the fact that a genunely gigged guitar which has been around for sixty years will have been exposed to a lot of cigarette smoke at venues too, so that will make it change colour as well. Just crank up the pickup heights on a ten year old Strat and you see that on the bits of the pickup whch were below the scratchplate look a lot whiter. So those uniform greenish pickguards are more of a fashion thing than an authentic look, although they are probably a good starting point for something which one intends to relic up a lot.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    I’m just going to put a new one on and take some scotchbrite to it. If it’s no good I’ll try something else. Thanks everyone. 
    I tried my hand at relicing a new fender guard and tbf it looks ok but I have eventually decided to either use crazy parts or realistic relics who are based in Canada. Both look about as near to the real thing that I’m going to get.