Altering a strat body with a router, advice please.

What's Hot
Hello everyone.
I want to rout a Strat body to fit two Filtertrons in it, can anybody advise me on what kind of bit I would need please? Also, would the same bit rout the pickguard? I imagine I'd need something more delicate for that? I'll be using a palm router and taking it steady.

I have some experience using a various routers, I built a guitar with Jon Shuker, however I wasn't taking note on those finer details.

Thank you!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    You’ll need a template profile but which has the bearing at the top to cut the cavity flush to the template itself. 

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2506
    edited January 27
    You’ll want a 1/2” diameter bit for a filtertron template. The same router bit will happily cut a scratch plate too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14495
    Will the 'Trons be mounted directly to the guitar body wood or suspended through the pickguard?

If you are using 'Trons with height adjustment lugs and screws at either end, you need a different template compared to the traditional "English / No Ears" mount outline. A soapbar P90 template should suffice for the body. 'Tron template for the 'guard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    Be careful!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 173
    Thanks, I plan to mount the trons to the body so there won't be any holes in the pickguard. Appreciate your help everyone. Thank you 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Rkphilpot said:
    …, I plan to mount the trons to the body … 
    wood screws or threaded inserts?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hadn't considered threaded inserts but that seems like a neater, better option
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    Hardtail or trem Strat?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hardtail