Pedalboard designs

What's Hot
andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
Hi,

I'm thinking about putting a new pedalboard together.  My main set up uses a Pedaltrain - I can't remember which one, maybe 18" by 12" at a guess, and uses velcro to attach pedals.  The only unusual thing is I use a pedalsnake so have my Diago powerstation powersupply off the board and just run a single fat cable with my guitar in, fx loop and power etc etc.

I'm sure I've heard of different design of pedalboards that hold the pedals down with something other than velcro.  Not sure if there are any super dooper ideas for keeping the individual pedal signal and power connections under control as well?

I can / will research but trying to get a headstart here on alternatives to the standard way we tend to put pedalboards together.

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Lots of options for you. Velcro is the default for the majority but options are:

pedal board tape- Velcro on steroids 
    Zip ties- requires holes in the board
    Bike chain links- screw the pedal base plate screws through these and then screw into the board. Iirc these can be purchased as a product?
    Proprietary board- suits single manufacturer eg if you have all boss pedals

Theres probably several creative solutions others can provide too
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Never used one myself but there are these: https://www.aclamguitars.com/store/smart-track 
    Red ones are better. 
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    TimmyO said:
    Never used one myself but there are these: https://www.aclamguitars.com/store/smart-track 
    That looks cool in that, unlike some of the other systems with non-velcro / zip tie fsatenings, it includes all the locking parts needed.  But....the mechanism does seem to force a larger gap between pedals than I would usually use.....as I'm always trying to squeeze too many pedals onto too small a board :)
  • edited January 29
    If I was going to design one myself rather than use the one I have; I'd make it in a arc with the power supply in the middle so the power wires could be very short. That'd be way easier to use and shorter power wires would probably mean less hum too.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    If I was going to design one myself rather than use the one I have; I'd make it in a arc with the power supply in the middle so the power wires could be very short. That'd be way easier to use and shorter power wires would probably mean less hum too.
    milliamps At 9v don’t cause hum due to ‘long’ cables 
    Red ones are better. 
    My power is off the board - Diago Powerstation, 3000mA - Pedalsnake takes the power to the board, I use a daisy chain on the pedalboard.....zero noise.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited January 29
    When I lay out a board, the first consideration is space.  Not that my opinion is any better than the average internet Muppet, but IMHO most boards you see on the interweb are far too small for the number of pedals on them. 

There should be at least half the width of a size eleven Doc Marten between foot switches, to prevent embarrassment, and to save you from peering at pedals when you should be soloing.

And pedals sideways in a second row?  Not exactly foolproof is it?

If you space them out on the Doc Marten scale, there's plenty of room for brackets/bicycle chain/cable ties/g-clamps/whatever. 

Secondhand Doc Martens can be bought quite cheaply, and you can recoup some of the cost by selling the left one to another forum member.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yup - I get it.....but I use the ES-5 for the vast majority of my switching......
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    Well that would work too :- )
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    And plan for flexibility. The board will not remain constant- pedal changes, lessons learned, new gadgets….. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • edited January 29
    TimmyO said:
    milliamps At 9v don’t cause hum due to ‘long’ cables 
    not suggesting they do, I'm pointing out that longer wires can pick up more interference by acting as an antenna. Shorter wires are tidier too of course.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here