Surfy industries opinions

What's Hot
TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
Back in the day I built a fender style reverb unit that I used to lug about and get an incredible sound from. In my gas filled ‘infinite wisdom’ it got sold on for one of those wonderful boss copies of the reverb unit. It was a fantastic pedal…so of course I decided I needed something with shimmer on, and that went too. Not one of the subsequent reverb pedals I have had has been bad (digitech, Jhs). But there was something about the simplicity of fuzz, drive, phasor, trem, reverb unit, that was not only practical, it also sounded immense. I guess I’m saying I over complicated things (he glances sheepishly at the thirteen pedal board across the room). Maybe it is time to sell a few. 

So a quick Google had me looking at the surfy industry compact reverb unit (two reverb settings, there’s the win right there). Who uses one? Who has owned one and moved it on? What’s the general consensus? And dare I ask…do I actually ‘need’ one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4227
    I had the Compact and in the end replaced it with the Classic - I thought I'd use the Decay control on the Compact way more than I actually did and in the end I wanted something as close to a 6G15 as I could get and that was the Classic. No regrets. I've gone digital for the most part but if ever I want spring reverb I would always still go for the Surfy Bear.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    I just moved on from my compact metal. It’s everything you expect from it. Clean. True bypass. Very very drippy. I found the two levels very useful. 

It was simply too much for me. I needed a quarter of its capabilities. It’s a great unit though and I was able to have it on my board powered by my Zuma. (Needs 12v 500+ma) 

I wouldn’t hesitate unless you want/need the ultimate in drip which is the larger metal or the non-true bypass unit. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited January 28
    I’ve had a blue Surfy industries Surfy Bear metal tank for a few years.
    It’s a fabulous reverb unit but it is large and had thought about getting the smaller version until a friend came round with his and I preferred mine.
    https://ibb.co/7vt1J7M

Last year I bought a black Surfyfuzz which is also a brilliant pedal.

IMO all the Surfy Industries products are excellent and well built and their customer service is very helpful if you need any help.
    Ryan 60 cycle hum YouTuber has done indepth reviews on there products which are worth watching.
    He even turns his metal tank into a pedal board in one video.

Have to say I’ve been using the excellent new Boss RV-200 reverb a lot since it was released end of last year.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    Interesting responses so far, particularly the differences between the compact and the classic/metal tank. What was it about the compact that didn’t quite hit the mark in comparison? 

I see the metal tank v4 is pretty much pedal board friendly (if I strip a load of stuff off and simplify) and can be had for the same price.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited January 28
    I have the compact on my pedal board - I. prefer it to my amp reverb ( Deluxe. and Twin Reverb ) I did think of selling it but decided to get a bigger pedal board.

IMG_1180.jpeg 410.6K
    And it looks lovely in surf green @sw67. Not that the colour of a pedal should be a driving force when it comes to its purchase… :lol: 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited January 28
    And it looks lovely in surf green @sw67. Not that the colour of a pedal should be a driving force when it comes to its purchase… lol 
    I went for the Blue because it’s easy to see.
    That said you can’t really miss it because of its size 

• NickBNickB Frets: 241
    I have a red/orange compact. Great reverb pedal. 

• thefezthefez Frets: 131
    I have the big metal one and love it though I've moved to different type of reverbs lately. But for spring stuff, I'm glad I went for one and not a small box like a Topanga or the Boss thing. Great pedal despite the size
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1602
    I picked up a compact in fiesta red today. I’ve spent a few hours with it and I must say I’m very impressed. 

My findings right away have been that it’s not exactly plug in and play as there are lots of variables. I tried it in my effects loops on several amps and I didn’t like it with any of them as much as being plugged into the front of the amp. Putting it into an amp on the edge of breakup and putting a Fuzzface or quality drive pedal into it and it’s tonal nirvana for me. Having the two mix control options I can see being very useful. 

Size wise it’s about the same size as a Line 6 DL4 so it’s not close to the metal or classic in size. 

I’m not a surf rock guy and I will try and get a clip or two recorded tomorrow in a more rock type sound. 
    I’ve the same model on the way from another member @shaunm. My old reverb unit was always on and into the front of the amp, so I’m hoping this will get me back to that sound. Fingers crossed.  
    I’ve the same model on the way from another member @shaunm. My old reverb unit was always on and into the front of the amp, so I’m hoping this will get me back to that sound. Fingers crossed.  
    It will I’m sure! 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1602
    @Teyeplayer i have had a quick play again tonight and I’m smitten. Quick crappy clip of going into only the Surfy Compact then into the Budda SuperDrive 30

https://youtube.com/shorts/YeA3FfQBzQs?si=ZfL6FnLWvi6aw5h8
    shaunm said:
    @Teyeplayer i have had a quick play again tonight and I’m smitten. Quick crappy clip of going into only the Surfy Compact then into the Budda SuperDrive 30

https://youtube.com/shorts/YeA3FfQBzQs?si=ZfL6FnLWvi6aw5h8
    :+1: nice and nice duesy. Should be getting mine Saturday. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 3
    I had the metal version... Got rid as it wasn't 'drippy' enough for my liking. I don't know if the other versions make up for that...? I ended up making one of my own in the end. 
  • I’ve always loved the catalinbread topanga it’s amazing, I ordered the surfy bear metal as I thought it would be even better but returned it as it just didn’t sound as good as the topanga. The topanga was just more alive in every way. 
    I’ve heard really good things about the topanga, yet to try one to compare.

First Impressions of the compact are that it sounds fantastic straight in and is easy to get a good sound. How does it compare to my old handbuilt unit? It’s been too long to say and my memory is hazy. I guess on the practical side it isn’t another head to carry or have go ‘walk about’ at load-in/out. Now I just need to weed the board a bit, get the number of pedals down to something a little more practical and sensible.
    edited February 4
    Next task will be paring with the right tremolo (yes it’s not required as the other amp is a tremlord…but it’s fun having this stuff going off all over the place).  

Current faves are the Carl Martin Surfy trem, the surfy industry trem and s/h fulltones. I’ve a clone of a swamp thang on my board which is lovely and does the perfect range of throbby speeds, gives a horrid pop when turned on though which ruins it for me as otherwise I love it.

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    I had the metal version... Got rid as it wasn't 'drippy' enough for my liking. I don't know if the other versions make up for that...? I ended up making one of my own in the end. 
    Surfy upgraded the tank at some stage  to a proprietary model made for them by Accutronics. The purpose of the upgrade was to achieve increased drip.

Depending on the age of the Metal you used it may or may not have had the upgrade. I have a Metal and there is no shortage of drip.
    Next task will be paring with the right tremolo (yes it’s not required as the other amp is a tremlord…but it’s fun having this stuff going off all over the place).  

Current faves are the Carl Martin Surfy trem, the surfy industry trem and s/h fulltones. I’ve a clone of a swamp thang on my board which is lovely and does the perfect range of throbby speeds, gives a horrid pop when turned on though which ruins it for me as otherwise I love it.

Glad you’re enjoying the compact. I have an Origin Revival Trem if it’s of interest….