NUX Mighty Plug Pro MP-3 squeal

What's Hot
StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
I've had my MP-3 for a couple of weeks now and have changed the headphones and earphones to a TRRS type but still get the squeal that everyone is complaining about (on some presets).  Is anyone using one without the squeal and if so, what headphones are you using?  My old mighty plug had no such problems!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Mine had a ringing sound, not just on presets but on bluetooth audio as well. The ringing wasn't present on the USB output, just headphone output, so I think the headphone amplifier was faulty. I sent it back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4189
    I’m using AT M20x  with mp3 pro ok here 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6160
    I've found it to be 80% fine, and the 20% is an interaction with certain settings and/or headphone connections.

I mentioned it in one of the other threads here - that one of the compressor models (Studio Comp, I think) caused a high-pitched noise whereas the others don't. Switching that effect block off made the noise disappear.

I may try to do some more methodical testing later in the week.
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    I've decided to return it and get a refund.  It's given me enough headaches trying to sort it and earache combined with tinnitus!
    Just to update with more testing:

1 - the two £10 sets of ear-buds I have both squeal on some patches
    2 - they are also super ice-pick bright, no mids or bass, so I suspect that this is a symptom of the same thing - a positive feedback that also happened with the old analogue-only TRRS audio adaptors for iPhone/iPad
    3 - my main headphones are Bose QC (with QC switched off) and they are TRRS and they are fine
    4 - BUT... even with these, some patches have a HF ringing - this includes the factory preset 7 (Stageman amp and IR), where switching the IR off makes the ringing disappear

So I think some problems are inherent (i.e. in the modelling) and some are possibly avoidable by headphone choice.
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    goldtop said:
    Just to update with more testing:

1 - the two £10 sets of ear-buds I have both squeal on some patches
    2 - they are also super ice-pick bright, no mids or bass, so I suspect that this is a symptom of the same thing - a positive feedback that also happened with the old analogue-only TRRS audio adaptors for iPhone/iPad
    3 - my main headphones are Bose QC (with QC switched off) and they are TRRS and they are fine
    4 - BUT... even with these, some patches have a HF ringing - this includes the factory preset 7 (Stageman amp and IR), where switching the IR off makes the ringing disappear

So I think some problems are inherent (i.e. in the modelling) and some are possibly avoidable by headphone choice.

I totally agree with you on the preset 7 (instant ear hurting squeal), the Stageman amp and IR (had the same with mine).  It's gone back now, so may have to wait for an updated/improved version to appear, or go back to the older version.  Shame this wasn't sorted by Nux, before it got this reputation.  The other sounds were great and a good user interface with the mobile phone app, preset swapping QR codes etc.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited January 31
    I don't get any squeal with mine, using either DT770s or Grado SR80s. The only time I've had a horrible feedback/squeal is plugging it into the 1/4" line out of a Captor to use as an IR loader/headphone amp. Wondered if it was just something to do with it being a TS jack in a TRS socket or something.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7884
    zero siqueal on mine. Its fab!
    TheMarlin said:
    zero siqueal on mine. Its fab!
    Try preset 7 and let us know how the background sound changes when you turn the amp and IR on/off.

(There's also another preset which is similar and the background sound disappears when the StdioComp effect is switched off.)