Drill bit size for drilling new pickguard screw holes in squier bullet (basswood or poplar)

What's Hot
JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
edited February 2 in Making & Modding
I will have to drill some new screwholes for a new pickguard I got, and I'm not sure what drillbit size to buy. I'm buying the drill with it, so I don't have anything to compare to. I just want to drill the hole, and then screw the screw in. If I've got it right, I need something slightly smaller than the screw, then drill the hole, and then thread the screw in myself. What size drillbit should I use? The screws are 3x12mm.

update: I went with 2mm, and it seems to work fine. 2.5mm seemed a bit too wide.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4196
    edited February 2
    For a 3mm screw into hardwood I'd use a 2mm drill bit, either wood or HSS. Put masking tape over the location of the hole and mark the screw hole position onto that. Drill to the 12mm depth of the screw. Use a bit of candlewax on the screw threads, and drive the screw in with the correct size screwdriver - use your best, newest screwdriver. Don't use an impact!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    3/32" perhaps (2.3mm)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• randellarandella Frets: 4196
    3/32" perhaps (2.3mm)
    I used to have one - it was only marked with the metric size which I thought was a bit random. It never occurred to me that it would be an Imperial equivalent size! Anyway it snapped, so that was that.

OP - I'd take Feline's advice on the bit diameter. He knows a thing or two about guitars :)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7045
    tFB Trader
    2.5mm is what I use and I countersink the holes to avoid any finish chipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    Steve makes a good point - a slight countersink helps the finish avoid chipping

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!