Boss Nextone Stage - thoughts ?

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4704
I have a TMDR which is very nice, very useable but a tad large and a smidge boring, in that it does one thing only, albeit very very well.

I also have a Blues King 12 so am I fine for valves when I feel the urge.

Toying with the idea of getting the Nextone Stage but before I go to G4M to see, does anyone have any comments, positive or negative, about them.   Basically, it will never get off the .5 watt setting but the appeal of the different outputs stages is strong.

I'm looking for a slightly dirty American sound but without the need for pedals or high volume levels.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited January 29
    If it's good enough for Luke Morley...

https://imgur.com/a/c58x8S6

Friday night at the Cathouse in Glasgow.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Played through a Nextone (not the Stage though) and thought it sounded pretty good. I was also after an American Tweedy kind of sound and the 6L6 setting was definitely decent. I actually ended up buying an Award-Session 5E3 Extra which is an analog SS combo and pretty much nails the basic 5E3 tone. It won’t do the full Neil Young though. The grit never gets too gritty but certainly does a nice edge-of-breakup American sound.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    HAL9000 said:
    Played through a Nextone (not the Stage though) and thought it sounded pretty good. I was also after an American Tweedy kind of sound and the 6L6 setting was definitely decent. I actually ended up buying an Award-Session 5E3 Extra which is an analog SS combo and pretty much nails the basic 5E3 tone. It won’t do the full Neil Young though. The grit never gets too gritty but certainly does a nice edge-of-breakup American sound.
    I run my 5E3 extra through an attenuator, believe me, it does all that squelchy, slightly falling apart fuzz excellently, it just has to be near flat out to do it. 

It's a great sound though, and cleans up really naturally from the guitar.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3580
    HAL9000 said:
    That amp interests me, especially following p90fool's comments. 

That said, the Blues Cube Artist does a decent job of a tweed bassman, particularly if you punch the front end with a Lovepedal HPTT. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    The Blues Cube Hot is certainly another option.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    Sell them both and get a tone king gremlin, has two channels blackfaceish and tweedish and an attenuator.  
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    munckee said:
    Sell them both and get a tone king gremlin, has two channels blackfaceish and tweedish and an attenuator.  

Too loud still.  I had a Falcon.