Ebay buyer wants to arrange their own courier for a pick up in person item ... is this a scam move?

What's Hot

So an auction ended and I've sold something heavy, pick up only for less than £10.

They have only just contacted me to ask if they can arrange for a courier to pick it up for them.

What's the deal here?

Scam?

Also, even if no scam, it means someone staying in for a potential 6-8 hour time period as couriers do not specify times do they.

ffs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    You can arrange pick ups via a courier, as long as you've cleared the payment from the buyer I'd worry not. But like you say, it's the 'your time' element that's the burden.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    It may well not be a scam, but it opens the door for one.

If they pay via Paypal and you cannot show a proof of delivery via an online-trackable, signed-for courier service which you arrange, the buyer can do a non-delivery chargeback and there's nothing you can do about it.

It doesn't seem worth them going to the trouble for something worth less than a tenner though, so it's probably legit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I often arrange a courier for pickup only items - but ask first and check if they can be in and box it up for the courier.    It's let me have some bargains that I assume the collection only in the ad would reduce the number of buyers.

If the buyer isn't very local then it's probably the best way for them, but they should have asked if it's ok first...
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    On the paypal delivery slip it shows a county durham address .... but on the ebay email message it shows a merseyside address?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited September 2013
    close2u said:
    On the paypal delivery slip it shows a county durham address .... but on the ebay email message it shows a merseyside address?
    I would cancel the sale at this point. Paypal instructions are that it must only be delivered to the address registered with Paypal, or you're again not covered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I just bought a power amp this week and arranged for interparcel to pick up -  I talked to the seller on the phone to sort the courier details - might be worth suggesting a phone call?   He might have moved and not updated his ebay details but I'd feel happier if they matched...
    So long as you've got the payment then it wouldn't worry me too much apart from having to box it and be around for the courier.

The one I'm more careful of is a paypal payment and then collect as you have no tracking info in the case of a dispute so if they do collect I want cash.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    for a £10 item i'd probably take the risk and be done with it.
    if you can get a receipt from the courier and if you have a record of the emails if they were done through the ebay system, then thats good
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    well I've asked the questions of the buyer, given a choice to pay or cancel ... we'll see
  • I have a £500+ guitar for sale, postage available
    I got a message asking if they can use their own courier
    I've said OK if they pay in advance with cash, or I can use their preferred courier

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It may well not be a scam, but it opens the door for one.

If they pay via Paypal and you cannot show a proof of delivery via an online-trackable, signed-for courier service which you arrange, the buyer can do a non-delivery chargeback and there's nothing you can do about it.

This is my opinion too. For anything of value there is no way I'd allow this.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited September 2016
    It has all the ingredients of one of the classic ebay scams.  It may not be in this specific instance but is it worth the potential loss of your item to find out?  Only you can answer that but personally I wouldn't entertain it irrespective of the value of the item.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    I sold a huge side board on eBay for £30. Obviously it was collection only. Someone with a London address bought it and paid via paypal. They spent ages arranging a collection, luckily I didn't need the space too badly. 2 guys came and eventually picked it up and said they were personally taking it (and a bunch of other similar stuff in their van) to Poland for the buyer. (didn't sign any paper work, they were literally just 2 guys in a van)

2 weeks went by and I got an email from the buyer stating the item wasn't what she expected blah blah blah, marks on the item that weren't meant to be there blah blah blah. 

I replied informatively about how long it took and how she didn't have a leg to stand on as it had been 8 weeks since she bought the item. 

It probably wasn't a scam however she was definitely trying to get the money back, she just hadn't done it very smartly. I think if she really had wanted to she could have claimed the money back from PayPal (which is where it gets a bit difficult without courier tracking) as @ICBM has stated.

I probably wouldn't do it again as it's just a lot of waiting and hoping you get to keep the money! just my 2 cents

• It could well be dodgy so do your homework before parting with the goods. There may be a totally innocent explanation but I'd be careful anyway.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited October 2016
    For an item of value less than £10 they'd have to be pretty desperate to try to make a scam out of it.

Is £10 of your time worth waiting 6-8 hours for a courier to show up?

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Why do people insist on being THICK about Paypal? No matter what ebay messages you exchange, the rule is as @ICBM states. 

Letting the buyer arrange the courier is like giving your tenner to a stranger and hoping they choose to give it you back. Are you that stupid?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    personally i never deviate from the tried and tested PP then Delivered signed for or cash on collection  NEVER....so far so good