Two Rock CRS has lost low end and sounds crunchy. New output valves? Re-Bias?

challenchallen Frets: 51
Any ideas? It's the 100w model and it sounds a little dirty, even with with the gain control at very low levels. It sounds as though it's not got the output and massive low end it used to have and I'm not getting those fat, squeaky-cleans anymore!

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    It sounds like one side of the power amp has gone down - possibly the phase inverter, or maybe one power valve and it’s done something meaning the other on the same side isn’t working right. (Just one power valve failure in a 4-valve amp won’t do that.) Or possibly, something in the bias circuit has failed leaving the bias voltage at full up, meaning it’s now biased very cold.

Is the phase inverter valve definitely glowing on both sides? Are all the power valves glowing and/or do any look odd?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    challen said:
    Any ideas? It's the 100w model and it sounds a little dirty, even with with the gain control at very low levels. It sounds as though it's not got the output and massive low end it used to have and I'm not getting those fat, squeaky-cleans anymore!

Thanks!

Is the Reverb still working properly?
  • challenchallen Frets: 51
    ICBM said:
    It sounds like one side of the power amp has gone down - possibly the phase inverter, or maybe one power valve and it’s done something meaning the other on the same side isn’t working right. (Just one power valve failure in a 4-valve amp won’t do that.) Or possibly, something in the bias circuit has failed leaving the bias voltage at full up, meaning it’s now biased very cold.

Is the phase inverter valve definitely glowing on both sides? Are all the power valves glowing and/or do any look odd?
    I'll fire it up again tomorrow and report back. Thanks for your help!
  • challenchallen Frets: 51
    Nerine said:
    challen said:

Thanks!

Is the Reverb still working properly?
    It works but it does get a bit noisy (background hiss) at higher levels - this seems to happen on other amps I own so I'm not sure if it's an issue or not?