Help with pedal schematic!

What's Hot
TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
edited January 30 in Making & Modding
Hi there

I am about to build a Fuzzdog Crimson Cockerel, which is a clone of the DAM Red Rooster, which in turn is a modded Rangemaster. 

In the instructions he says to put in EITHER R1 or R2.... R2 is what the original schematic says but Mr Fuzzdog says it made more sense in the R1 position. 

Here's the product page:
https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/cockerel

And here's the PDF for instructions:
http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/CrimsonCockerel.pdf
See schematic and notes at bottom of 3rd page!

I was wondering if anybody who understands more than me could give a recommendation? Which would you use? These two positions seem to my untrained eye that they should do different things? What function do these resistors perform in the circuit?

Much appreciate any advice!! Also in general I'd like to have better understanding of electronics myself... any links/recommendations of online resources/videos/courses would be appreciated as well.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    It’s a pull down resistor for the input. I don’t know why you’d put it at R2. That will work but it’s a bit clumsy. The original Rangemaster has one fixed setting, determined by a small value input coupling cap, like C1, that rolls off bottom end into the transistor which then amplifies. A higher value input cap will let more lower frequencies though. The range pot is blending between the two. At extreme ends of the pot the impedance presented to the guitar signal of the pot plus cap in one direction is sufficiently high that the majority of the signal goes directly via the other cap. And vice versa and all points in between. I’ve used this arrangement for years on Rangemasters and fuzz faces. Simple and effective. Stick the pull down resistor in R1. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Thank you!! Perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom